Pond hopper type boats

Biggun4214

Has anyone had any experience with these type of small boats? We are thinking about getting one to use putting decoys out.

eddie c

If you're talking about the 8-10 ft pontoon type, I think it would be a 1person in the boat situation with all the decoys. I had one years ago and with 2 people it was tight.
If wind is blowing you would be fighting the wind just to keep from getting the motor from taggle with the lines.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I had one several years ago. It was not as stable as you would think, and it was kinda top heavy with my wife and I both in it. And with our weight difference, she had to be the one operating the trolling motor, had to put hte battery and motor on her end to offset my weight on the other end.

Safari Hunt

Looked into a 12 foot jon boat to complement the our canoe. Small outboard costs 2-3X what the boat and trailer cost! Back to the canoe!

Crow Terminator

You won't like it for that purpose at all. They are tipsy and not as much room as you may be thinking.

A smaller Jon boat would fit the bill better IMO. Deals are out there. I wanted a newer one and just bought a 2018 model 14 foot Tracker flat bottom with a 2018 Mercury four stroke 5 HP on it, 40 lb thrust Minn Kota trolling motor and trailer for $1,800. That's less than what I have in my Native fishing kayak setup with a whole lot more room and power.

Safari Hunt

You won't like it for that purpose at all. They are tipsy and not as much room as you may be thinking.

A smaller Jon boat would fit the bill better IMO. Deals are out there. I wanted a newer one and just bought a 2018 model 14 foot Tracker flat bottom with a 2018 Mercury four stroke 5 HP on it, 40 lb thrust Minn Kota trolling motor and trailer for $1,800. That's less than what I have in my Native fishing kayak setup with a whole lot more room and power.
You got a bargain.

Biggun4214

Thanks, we bought a 3 man 14 foot canoe with a trolling motor. I think this will be better than a Jon boat because of weight rating and being able to drag it through the woods to get to our duck holes.

Crow Terminator

Those Mercury 5 HP four strokes ain't but around $800-900 brand new. I'm a big ol boy at 260 lbs and it will haul me and all my fishing gear and cooler at 10.5 to 11 mph gps speed. That's not setting the world on fire but I am coming from a pedal drive kayak where at best, I was moving 4 mph. I would have rathered it been a 9.9 horse but that only comes into play when another person is in the boat. 99% of the time, I fish alone.

Latest posts