Food Plots plot question?

CountryBoy053

On my lease on a spot I wilk be hunting there is an area fairly deep in the woods that all the trees have fallen over. All hard words in the area. The spaceis about 50 ft by 50ft with no trees just wide open would I be able to plant a small plot in the area. If so, what should I plant

BlountArrow

I personally think that small of an area would be a waste. Plus, areas in the woods have a tendency to be overcome with leaves from surrounding trees when the leaves start falling.

spoon

I disagree with what blountarrow said. Planting a plot is an attractant to deer for you to have an opportunity to kill a deer no matter how small it is. If you can get a tiller back there or willing to rake, you can plant wheat, oaks & clover to attract some deer. I wouldn't worry about the leaves as this will be a short term plot. Now you might not get the biggest buck in the area to come in at daylight, but you will attract some. Now having said that, you will have to be very careful that you don't over hunt and be very selective on which deer you kill. You have to hunt it when the wind is at the beat for you to enter/ hunt and exit without deer detecting your present

CountryBoy053

A.Hall said:
I disagree with what blountarrow said. Planting a plot is an attractant to deer for you to have an opportunity to kill a deer no matter how small it is. If you can get a tiller back there or willing to rake, you can plant wheat, oaks & clover to attract some deer. I wouldn't worry about the leaves as this will be a short term plot. Now you might not get the biggest buck in the area to come in at daylight, but you will attract some. Now having said that, you will have to be very careful that you don't over hunt and be very selective on which deer you kill. You have to hunt it when the wind is at the beat for you to enter/ hunt and exit without deer detecting your present

I may give it a try then hearing this. On my lease we each are allowed 3 stands so I could hunt the others more often. I'd just like to have a nice "go too" stand

CountryBoy053

Well I've got a salt lick near there. In three years on the lease I've just seen 2 small bucks till this year. I've got picked off some real nice deer and would like to try to give them a reason to stay in the area of I can. Lol

Great White Stalker

I've heard that the roots from surrounding timber zap about the first 20 yards of nutrients into a plot making it harder to grow anything there. I've heard in that area its best to grow clover. So if I were you that's probably what I would do. Good luck.

Latest posts