Oh wise reloading masters,Resizing brass for 7-08?

fishboy1

Getting a 7-08 from Santy clause and I want to reload.

Should I buy 7-08 brass or get 308 brass and resize it? Pros/Cons?

If I decide to resize, what dies will I need?

megalomaniac

If you've got 308 brass sitting around, it may not be as simple as just running it through a 7-08 die... Depending on the thickness of the neck of the original brass, as well as the diameter of the neck of your rifle's chamber, you might just have to turn the necks of the resized brass.

If you're going to go out and buy new brass, I'd start with the 7-08 for sure.

TiminTN

If you have 308 then use it. If you are going to buy, get 7/08 or 308. No need to worry about necks if you use 308, not in a factory chamber. Headspace it to your chamber and size away.

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
Re: Oh wise reloading masters,Resizing brass for 7

I experimented with making 25-06 cases from 30-06, 270, and regular 25-06 brass this year. It's similar to what you're asking. When all was done I came to the conclusion that the only benefit to be had from resizing brass was in the case of using high quality brass. In your case the only benefit I would see would be if you used Lapua, Norma, or other match quality 308 brass and resized it to 7-08. The brass would be a lot more uniform if you wanted to take the pains but with the average hunting rifle you'd probably never see the difference.

By resizing brass you can wind up with cartridges that have larger neck diameters and more closely fit a factory chamber which will help a little. I was only able to gain a couple of thousandths over the factory brass and really didn't see much improvements. That said though, what I'm shooting now in my 25-06 is 30-06 brass that has been downsized in two steps to the 25 caliber and results are good. Of course headstamps are wrong and you don't want that ammo falling into the wrong hands.

fishboy1

Thanks guys! Ill buy a sack of 7-08 brass and be done with it.

7mm08

I have brass and don't plan on reloading. If you PM me, I will send you my 7mm-08 brass. Had more but tossed it.. I know, blasphamy! Can I still be on the board?

PS.. I used to reload 20 guage AA when I shot a lot of skeet..Anybody need some hulls?

Latest posts