NIL.....Cap???

encore06

Just curious, but are there a limit on the amount of $$$ a booster or business can "pay" an athlete as an incentive to sign and play for a team. What would stop someone, like Elon Musk, from giving a recruit $million as recompense for using their NIL at their place of business, if I'm making sense? Jerry Jones has reportedly offer to double the NIL for any player that signs with Arkansas BB. Is this where we are now in terms of "pay to play?"

deerfanatic

Just curious, but are there a limit on the amount of $$$ a booster or business can "pay" an athlete as an incentive to sign and play for a team. What would stop someone, like Elon Musk, from giving a recruit $million as recompense for using their NIL at their place of business, if I'm making sense? Jerry Jones has reportedly offer to double the NIL for any player that signs with Arkansas BB. Is this where we are now in terms of "pay to play?"
You cannot limit how much someone earns from their job. These are side jobs and not through the school. Yes I know what they really are and that is with the school and coaches directing who gets what but the whole basis of the argument that stripped the NCAA's power on this is that you cannot legally limit what someone earns. You could cap it if the players were in a union and collectively bargained like the nba or nfl but again those guys can earn all they are able to in side jobs i.e. endorsements.

PalsPal

I heard it mentioned the other day, and it's spot on, in that this is the next level of travel ball.

Players (and parents) are always looking for greener pastures. The end goal for most is maximizing how much money that they can get from their playing career.

And now they have hit a gold mine with the current situation. And I don't fault them for that. It's giving some players like Knect another opportunity that didn't exist a few years ago.

But, for the fan, it will never be the same. So, it's best to not get too invested in the team you pull for.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Until they cap NIL and limit the number of times you can transfer college sports will never be the same. Heck from year to year it will be a significantly different team on the field.
I like the idea of limiting the number of times you can transfer. Like once. Unless your coach moves on or gets fired, then you get another one.

Latest posts