Smokeless New Savage

Smokeless

Jhawk

Just picked up a savage MLll from 24 hour campfire. It will come with some 300gr dead center bullets and a pound of 5744 powder anyone have a load worked up for this, or recommend me a different load, This will be my first smokeless muzzy just looking for a starting point. Thanks

TX300mag

I shot 300 SST with 67g H4198 for a few years. It was VERY accurate but my barrel didn't like the .452 bullets (they would shift).

I shot 300g Barnes Original with 62g N120 for many years. A couple of years ago I switched to Reloader 7 when N120 was scarce.

I've never tried the load above, but I would listen hard to Jlanecr500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

holstonangler

I used to shoot 5744 alot, 44 grains with 300 xtps shot tight groups for my stock savage. Be sure you're using high performance sabots or they will blow and cause bad accuracy. I now also shoot what the guys above posted 300 barnes originals and 325 ftx with 63 gr of Reloder 7. Its burns a little cleaner and adds 200+/- fps to your load.

GMB54

5744 is a filthy powder and fps is poor. Its only saving grace is its super easy to ignite.

Reloder7 makes less peak pressure and its a bit cleaner. Its also easy to ignite. Very good cheaper powder for 300gr-325gr bullets. Its probably gunna push a Dead Center a little too fast though.

N120 is great for a 300gr and performance is extremely good. About 58gr will match 63gr of Reloder7 in speed but its much much cleaner.

Go get some cheap 300gr XTPs instead of those DCs. Try either the MMP Short Black or the Harvester Red Crushribs. Several of the 300gr 458s in a Harvester Black Crushrib or MMP Orange will work too unless you have a freakishly tight bore. If you really want to use the 5744 get some Sierra 458 300gr FNHPs. They are made for slower speeds.

BTW before you do any thing. Remove the breach plug and check the vent liner flash hole size. If its over .035 or close get some new ones. Badger Ridge Ind has them and they also offer a pin gauge for a few bucks. While the plug is out clean the flash channel (not flash hole in the vent liner) with a 5/32 drill bit by hand.

Latest posts