Food Plots Natural clover plot

I have a portion of my farm where for whatever reason is absolutely covered in ladino clover. It looks as if I seeded it even though I never have. My question is can I just spray for weeds, take a soil test (add fertilizer/like accordingly) and have it work and be as attractive as a normal food plot, or should I burn it down and start over this fall? Thanks

071B6C81-3DF9-484B-BAD9-118FAE188DD3.jpeg

Here is a picture for reference

JCDEERMAN

I definitely would not burn that down. It looks great. If you spray, do it with Clethodim and Butyrac. Just don't do it too late as it starts to get warmer, as they don't need any more added stress. Might just want to wait until fall to spray and/or bushhog. I'd have a clover mix ready for this fall to sow into that existing clover right before a good rain.

DoubleRidge

Thats how my front yard does.....zero effort to have clover in the yard but yet it thrives. Then have to spend money in the food plots to have clover like that....I agree with others.....dont burn it down...spray for grasses...mow or clip occasionally if needed....top sow more clover this fall and enjoy....already nice looking.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
My lawn has lots of trees and we struggled to grow grass on a lot of it.
This last winter /early spring I fertilized it and put down Pelletized lime for the 3rd year in a row.
Suddenly in April I have clover all over the lawn where not a sprig has been seen in years. Goes to show what can happen when the ph gets right!

backyardtndeer

Very nice. Fertilizer and lime would definitely improve it, get a soil test to see what it needs. I would not spray it with anything, just keep it mowed for now.

double browtine

That looks awesome! It's been a great spring for clover. I had one small area of clover that I guess spread over the fall and winter. I'm going to raise the bushhog up and knock the weeds down this weekend.
Mine was a volunteer plot as well. Only way I can think mine got started was from the roll of hay we fed my daughters horse when it was in the field when we had the area enclosed by an electric fence.
IMG_7399.jpeg

BigAl

I have planted a food plot in my backyard over the last 14 years in various types of clover. Now its got to the point where a lot of my 5 acres is now covered in clover naturally. Might just stop planting the plot. Or start putting something else in it.

Latest posts