Multi tool instead of regular knife.

TheAirMan

I've been thinking about this lately. I carry some type of multi tool on me almost always, except when hunting. My leatherman surge has knife of course, and a saw blade as good as any saw small enough I would want to pack. The wire cutters would snip little limbs as good as ratchet pruners. A person would have pliers if a bolt was loose on a stand or something, as well as, a few other tools all in a lot more compact package than all of it separate. Anyone take just a multi tool hunting.? I usually don't take a saw or pruners deer hunting, turkey hunting is a different story. However, in something so small as a multi tool they would be nice to have.

Mike Belt

I always have a pruner and a folding saw in my ditty bag. A Leatherman is to too small to serve my purpose. I also hunt where there are multitudes of thickets, etc.

Matador

I carry a folding saw, rope, and small Cresent wrench along with a small pair of pliers and channel locks in cargo box on my 4 Wheeler. In my pocket I carry one of the victornox Swiss multi tool knives thar has flat head screw driver, small Phillips head screw driver and a small scissors among the tools. Just simply amazing how many times I use this Swiss knife in daily life. These items usually take care of any field problems. If they don't I have more tools at camp.

DMD

I keep a folding saw on both my climbing stands, and one in my sxs. I keep a very small (to keep weight down) multi-touch in my backpack. But, I have all kinds of tools stashed in my sxs in case I need them.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Boone 58

TheAirMan":1gie4uzf said:
I've been thinking about this lately. I carry some type of multi tool on me almost always, except when hunting. My leatherman surge has knife of course, and a saw blade as good as any saw small enough I would want to pack. The wire cutters would snip little limbs as good as ratchet pruners. A person would have pliers if a bolt was loose on a stand or something, as well as, a few other tools all in a lot more compact package than all of it separate. Anyone take just a multi tool hunting.? I usually don't take a saw or pruners deer hunting, turkey hunting is a different story. However, in something so small as a multi tool they would be nice to have.

I have always been a climber and upon entering large management areas I have found the need more than once to trim a few limbs before I could get up the tree so I always try to have a small portable folding saw on me to get the job done. Consequently a few years back I wanted to hunt the particular spot where the currents were very tricky in avoiding the deer entering a specific spot that they knew they could pick up any predator scent. As luck would have it I got to the exact tree and best one for climbing and realized the white oak had a 2" limb just 9' up and there I had no saw as I had left it in the truck and I knew I wasn't going to break that oak limb so I went over 30 yard to the "usual" tree I hunted and climbed it..................I kid you not that very big 8 pt with 10" G2's and 8" g3's came right by that exact tree in thick cover to the opposite side within 20 yards of where I had intended to set up and now 50 yards from me in the old location and all I could do was watch him as he angled off the entry side I had come up on and I will never forget him crossing my back trail, sniffing my scent , looking my way, and studying my trail and what it meant........................ I never saw him again in the daylight, although I have his sheds from that year.....................and never saw him again alive. Nice 3.5 year old and would have been the biggest buck taken with my bow had I been able to shoot....................dadgum, that one will haunt me the rest of my life. :bash:

Mid-Tenn

I carry a Leatherman 2000 at work daily and keep another in my pack. Numerous times they've came in handy and are pretty much an indispensable piece of gear.
That being said my next purchase is going to be the Havalon Evolve multi tool.

grouser

The multi tools are handy, keep one in the pack and truck, but like a light, fixed blade for the wet work.