MS Turkey stamp

megalomaniac

I normally buy a yearly license not a 7 day. I can't hunt 7 days strait due to work and family schedule. I hunt all Public in Mississippi since we lost our lease, and sometimes that can be tough in areas
TN is a little cheaper for the annual license for all game... $305 for a NR (for 2 birds)
MS is $350 for the annual license for NR... $300 for the annual license, plus $50 for the turkey permit (for 3 birds)

Now if you want to hunt deer in addition to turkey in MS, you also have to buy the $100 deer permit... TN doesn't have that... so you are up to $450 to hunt both deer and turkey in MS as a NR.... that's pretty pricey.

Also why I would be opposed to charging NR's an additional $100 for the 'turkey stamp'. $10 for residents and NR alike is not unreasonable IMO.

But most of the NR pressure on our birds are coming from the NR folks only spending $$$ for the 7d permit to hunt 3 birds for $200... that's pretty darn cheap for a NR.

Andy S.

Wonder what made turkey hunting so cool? Never seen it like this before.
Hmmmmmm......................the majority of turkey hunters on this forum who can think past their nose accurately predicted this outcome about a decade ago. The pandemic did not do us any favors either, just put fuel on the fire.

Andy S.

TN is a little cheaper for the annual license for all game... $305 for a NR (for 2 birds)
MS is $350 for the annual license for NR... $300 for the annual license, plus $50 for the turkey permit (for 3 birds)

Now if you want to hunt deer in addition to turkey in MS, you also have to buy the $100 deer permit... TN doesn't have that... so you are up to $450 to hunt both deer and turkey in MS as a NR.... that's pretty pricey.
Economics 101 - what is the fine for hunting without a license? By no means am I promoting it, but I suspect that will be the route taken by some when they are priced out of the game.

Spurhunter

Economics 101 - what is the fine for hunting without a license? By no means am I promoting it, but I suspect that will be the route taken by some when they are priced out of the game.
They will lose money on this program. As you say, a lot of people will just risk it. Especially on private land. I already pay $50 for a spring turkey license. Now you are going to tack on another $100 for a turkey stamp? Most people will play by the rules until the rules get ridiculous.

AT Hiker

I wonder if that's not an underlying objective. The bill sponsors have gotta know that a very likely outcome will be fewer NRs.
IMO, it is not an objective. Everyone knows we have plenty of turkey hunters.

I think they know that even if they scare away a certain percentage, there will be plenty more ready to swipe their credit cards. Surprised they didn't make it $150…

This is a new trend, I'll bank on it. Wyoming has already increased some of their deer/elk/antelope tags with special elk tags knocking on $2k. Many state game tags haven't kept up with the pace of inflation so it's about to be a nationwide run on "tag inflation". We can stake claim to that here on tndeer "tag-flation".

Think about it. People on this forum claim they would pay $1500 for a good turkey lease in TN. $100 extra will not deter them.

Wildcat#32

HUH??? It's only $200 for you to come to MS, shoot 3 birds for a 7d license ($150 for the license and $50 for the turkey permit)
If I come from MS to TN for the same 7 day NR license, it's $214... for 2 birds.

Cheaper for TN residents to kill birds in MS than for MS residents to kill birds in TN

Pot, meet Kettle
here is a idea!! just dont come to tennessee to hunt!!!!! problem solved!!!!

megalomaniac

here is a idea!! just dont come to tennessee to hunt!!!!! problem solved!!!!
Sorry to hurt your feelings, but hasn't cost me a dime to hunt TN since 1996, except for the 1 time purchase of my lifetime license in 2001.

I used to buy a resident license every year, but quit in 1996 since I was hunting my own land. I got pissed off at TWRA for trapping and removing turkeys on the farm next to me, so I quit buying a license from 1996 until 2001. When I moved to MS, I bought the lifetime license in 2001 just before transferring my residency.

Now I get to hunt TN for free, fish TN for free, apply for all draw hunts for free, all WMAs for free, no Gburg trout stanp ever, etc.

I've probably spent less than you on TN hunting cumulatively in the past 21 years.

But I guess foresight and planning is worth something 😀

megalomaniac

They will lose money on this program. As you say, a lot of people will just risk it. Especially on private land. I already pay $50 for a spring turkey license. Now you are going to tack on another $100 for a turkey stamp? Most people will play by the rules until the rules get ridiculous.
Never underestimate what damage a turkey killer with a few ziplock bags and a pocket knife can do.

762hunter

I know this is putting the cart before the horse... but has MDWFP thought about how the funds would be allocated??? More boots on the ground for enforcement? More habitat improvement projects on WMAs such as more frequent burning or additional supplemental food plots? Even programs for landowners to cost share habitat improvements?
I can get behind the additional cost. It's how does this money get allocated like you said. I imagine the "customers" have no say so on where it is spent.

I mean someone has to pay the THP to promote hunting there so license/stamp sales go through the roof.

Wildcat#32

Sorry to hurt your feelings, but hasn't cost me a dime to hunt TN since 1996, except for the 1 time purchase of my lifetime license in 2001.

I used to buy a resident license every year, but quit in 1996 since I was hunting my own land. I got pissed off at TWRA for trapping and removing turkeys on the farm next to me, so I quit buying a license from 1996 until 2001. When I moved to MS, I bought the lifetime license in 2001 just before transferring my residency.

Now I get to hunt TN for free, fish TN for free, apply for all draw hunts for free, all WMAs for free, no Gburg trout stanp ever, etc.

I've probably spent less than you on TN hunting cumulatively in the past 21 years.

But I guess foresight and planning is worth
Never underestimate what damage a turkey killer with a few ziplock bags and a pocket knife can do.
good for you!! did u hunt tn from 96 to 01!!! sounds like you have experience in ways around the system!!! btw. i doubt it on the money spent. me or my wife or kid has not paid a dime in licensing since 2010!! we are all avid hunters. LANDOWNER!!!!!

Doskil

If this if passes they can kiss my ass, first draw to hunt any public for first two weeks and almost 400 bucks for a license. Yeah you know how many people will not pay for that. Let's just ruin hunting in every for every non resident EXCEPT TENNESSEE 🙄🙄🙄

Come to North Carolina

You're only charged what TN charges non residents

Rockhound

It's already happening here in a different way, they've caught several from Arkansas and Mississippi, around the areas of popular wmas. The wmas have got so crowded that they now venture out, find birds and just park on the side of the road and go hunt.

Soft Talker

Hmm, obviously they want non residents to stay out of there state!!
Can't blame them for wanting to keep the traveling circus out. I'd keep raising it till they stopped coming, that goes for every state. Won't bother me one bit, and I could care less about the circus. That said, I'll be headed to Fl Thursday, as I do every year. Having that lifetime license keeps them from f##king me there.

REN

Can't blame them for wanting to keep the traveling circus out. I'd keep raising it till they stopped coming, that goes for every state. Won't bother me one bit, and I could care less about the circus. That said, I'll be headed to Fl Thursday, as I do every year. Having that lifetime license keeps them from f##king me there.

problem is its a double edge sword. You remove NR and thats a major loss in money that is going to wildlife and conservation/land management. Sure it makes it more fun short term for residents but that loss of funds they will feel in the long run.
ive also always found it funny that lots of folks are on the NR removal train but a lot of those same folks have plans or yearly go to other states to hunt.

Latest posts