Minn kita ulterra issue…..

7mm08

Had an elderly gentleman put in ahead of me last month with one. He was on a cane and had a little trouble getting around. He disconnected boat from trailer & backed far enough in it floated off ( intentionally). When I put mine in I noticed his boat was about 50 yards out & he was on dock mashing his fob thingy. Motor would unfold but that was it. I retrieved his boat for him but we never could get it to work
Better be REAL familiar with those buttons before trying it.
- always make sure it's on and deploys in the parking lot
- bring it back up, and then slide your boat in the water.
- deploy then SPOT LOCK…… park the truck & trailer
- take off the spot lock , and the guide the boat to you on the dock…. And away you go.

scn

Uh no. You pull the bracket out that connects the PUCK to the motor and it disconnects totally, all in less than 15 seconds. But if you mount it directly to the the bow then yes it's a problem. The puck is the only thing PERMANENTLY MOUNTED . . Mounting the Ulterra to the bow is asking for problems.. Jim won't mount one without the puck.

I use to disconnect mine at night and store it in the garage.
Of course the puck is better for that system with all of its issues. I have a puck for the last Terrova I had mounted. Unfortunately, my buddy had his Ulterra mounted directly to the boat so there was no easy fix for him 20 miles out. He got the proper tools to disassemble the trolling motor after that episode, and had to do it twice before he went a different route.

There is no doubt that the Ulterra system is the the best one on the water WHEN it is working. Unfortunately, from reviews, etc, the operative word seems to be WHEN.

redblood

Of course the puck is better for that system with all of its issues. I have a puck for the last Terrova I had mounted. Unfortunately, my buddy had his Ulterra mounted directly to the boat so there was no easy fix for him 20 miles out. He got the proper tools to disassemble the trolling motor after that episode, and had to do it twice before he went a different route.

There is no doubt that the Ulterra system is the the best one on the water WHEN it is working. Unfortunately, from reviews, etc, the operative word seems to be WHEN.
Found an ulterra expert in Huntsville. Tallked to him on the ohone. Said he could give me an accurate estimate when he sees it. Depending on what he says it will be fix it or buy a new one. I want the simplest option that has spot lock!

scn

Found an ulterra expert in Huntsville. Tallked to him on the ohone. Said he could give me an accurate estimate when he sees it. Depending on what he says it will be fix it or buy a new one. I want the simplest option that has spot lock!
I hope it is a cheap and easy fix. The Ulterra is the most convenient system out there WHEN it is working properly.

If you keep it, I would opt to get it mounted on a puck if it isn't already, or acquire the tools (basically some allen wrenches and screw drivers ) for the boat and the knowledge on how to take it down if it ever won't deploy back into the boat. After that, it is sort of like any trolling motor that can break down.

When you asked about cable steer earlier, those are motors that are operated by cables going from the foot control to the trolling motor. It will require the operator to be on the front deck operating the motor. They are the simplest and probably the most reliable. But, for me, wanting to run a tm from my poling platform while a buddy concentrates on fishing up front, the cable steer motors are not an option.

Good luck on the fix!

WTM

I hope it is a cheap and easy fix. The Ulterra is the most convenient system out there WHEN it is working properly.

If you keep it, I would opt to get it mounted on a puck if it isn't already, or acquire the tools (basically some allen wrenches and screw drivers ) for the boat and the knowledge on how to take it down if it ever won't deploy back into the boat. After that, it is sort of like any trolling motor that can break down.

When you asked about cable steer earlier, those are motors that are operated by cables going from the foot control to the trolling motor. It will require the operator to be on the front deck operating the motor. They are the simplest and probably the most reliable. But, for me, wanting to run a tm from my poling platform while a buddy concentrates on fishing up front, the cable steer motors are not an option.

Good luck on the fix!

not all of them. the ultrex is a hybrid cable/electric. you can remote control it from anywhere in the boat.

megalomaniac

I bought the Riptide with Spotlock. No auto deploy, no even assist deploy like the terrova. Less things to break. It has worked flawlessly. It's mounted on a puck, so I can store it in the garage in between trips.

bluball

yes the ulterra has both a foot pedal and a control. the football just gets in the way for me.
All the foot pedals suck on the ulterra,terrova and powerdrive motors.The ultrex foot pedal is nice,when I use the others i have have to use both feet to run them.

redblood

I bought the Riptide with Spotlock. No auto deploy, no even assist deploy like the terrova. Less things to break. It has worked flawlessly. It's mounted on a puck, so I can store it in the garage in between trips.
i can get a powerdrive v2 with spotlock right now for 850.00. at a marina, taken off a new boat, never used. only problem that marina is in northern ky. i want simple with spotlock!

redblood

is their any reason to take it off between trips? i store my boat in a sealed garage so would I gain anything?

chimneyman

All the foot pedals suck on the ulterra,terrova and powerdrive motors.The ultrex foot pedal is nice,when I use the others i have have to use both feet to run them.
Exactly. I love the foot pedal on the Ultrex. Sold a Terrova because I couldn't use foot pedal if I was sitting down

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
I just bought another force to put on my boat. I absolutely despise the terrova. It works prefecture fine but I cannot feel the footpedal which makes it useless.
I also get tired of deploying it when I go fishing. I rend to move alot and it gets rough on the old back after 5 or 6 hours.
I almost went with the quest ultrex but running 4 garmins the force made a little more sense. Just hope it's better than the first one I had almost 5 years ago.

redblood

Ok. Got it off, a bit of a challenge. One question- this trolling motor was hard wired and did not use a plug. Found where the wire from the trolling motor was spliced and soldered directly to the wire coming from the battery. Its 24 volt. Should i add a plug to connect them or is it better to just hard wire them together. If so, what plug?

Attachments

• IMG_0363.jpeg
    IMG_0363.jpeg
    600.7 KB · Views: 2

bluball

Ok. Got it off, a bit of a challenge. One question- this trolling motor was hard wired and did not use a plug. Found where the wire from the trolling motor was spliced and soldered directly to the wire coming from the battery. Its 24 volt. Should i add a plug to connect them or is it better to just hard wire them together. If so, what plug?

WTM

^^^^^

cant use solder alone, has to be mechanically spliced. whichever termination kit you decide, it cant be aluminum or uncoated standard steel. ABYC E-9.

bluball

^^^^^

cant use solder alone, has to be mechanically spliced. whichever termination kit you decide, it cant be aluminum or uncoated standard steel. ABYC E-9.
Can't be,don't say can't be,lol.You should see some of the stuff we see at the shop,other people work😀

Latest posts