Minn kita ulterra issue…..

redblood

Mine crapped out this morn. Would deploy and turn but the prop wouldnt turn even though remote said it was. So is there anyone who services them? Maybe a short? Its been sounding funny for a while. Do they come with a warranty? My boat is a 2021 and the boat owner added it so it cant be old?

Is the terrova better? The garmin?

I dont need anything fancy, my boat isnt heavy. Just need a functional trolling motor with spot lock (i guess).

scn

Mine crapped out this morn. Would deploy and turn but the prop wouldnt turn even though remote said it was. So is there anyone who services them? Maybe a short? Its been sounding funny for a while. Do they come with a warranty? My boat is a 2021 and the boat owner added it so it cant be old?

Is the terrova better? The garmin?

I dont need anything fancy, my boat isnt heavy. Just need a functional trolling motor with spot lock (i guess).
It is likely a motherboard issue which usually comes in as a $500 repair. Their warranty work is really hit and miss. I have a friend that had the ulterra and had his in the certified shop three times for repairs in two years before he finally said to heck with it and went down to the terrova that doesn't self deploy. He was caught about 20 miles off the coast of SC with one deployed that wouldn't come back into the boat. He didn't have the tools or the know how at that time to take it off, so it made for a long trip back. He learned if you owned one you really need to know how to disable it and have the tools to do so.

The ulterra is the greatest thing since sliced bread when it works. But, if you go to some of the sites selling those TMs and read the reviews you will see that there are major issues with them and Minn Kota refuses to address the problems.

I have the terrova as does my fishing buddy, and we haven't had any issues with that motor. If I was buying one today, I would probably try to buy the brushless motor that Power Pole is selling. They are very pricey, but, PP has an awesome reputation on their products and customer service.

7mm08

There is a guy just over Ft LOUDON dam that is a Minn Kota certified repairman……. Surely the TNDEER MULETRAIN can get it delivered!

I have an Ulterra that crapped out once in now 9 years of owning it. Repaired by the guy above..

tnanh

It is likely a motherboard issue which usually comes in as a $500 repair. Their warranty work is really hit and miss. I have a friend that had the ulterra and had his in the certified shop three times for repairs in two years before he finally said to heck with it and went down to the terrova that doesn't self deploy. He was caught about 20 miles off the coast of SC with one deployed that wouldn't come back into the boat. He didn't have the tools or the know how at that time to take it off, so it made for a long trip back. He learned if you owned one you really need to know how to disable it and have the tools to do so.

The ulterra is the greatest thing since sliced bread when it works. But, if you go to some of the sites selling those TMs and read the reviews you will see that there are major issues with them and Minn Kota refuses to address the problems.

I have the terrova as does my fishing buddy, and we haven't had any issues with that motor. If I was buying one today, I would probably try to buy the brushless motor that Power Pole is selling. They are very pricey, but, PP has an awesome reputation on their products and customer service.
I have two Ulterras and my son has one on his boat. Never have had a problem with any of them.

chimneyman

There is a guy just over Ft LOUDON dam that is a Minn Kota certified repairman……. Surely the TNDEER MULETRAIN can get it delivered!

I have an Ulterra that crapped out once in now 9 years of owning it. Repaired by the guy above..
Swaffords trolling motor repair Minn kota service dealer

bluball

I wouldn't have the pole myself,that is compared to the ultrex.I have never used the power pole but my buddy used one and didn't like it compared to his ultrex.In my opinion the ultrex is the best and they have a regular and a quest now,the quest is brushless.

7mm08

Mount that Ulterra on a PUCK and if it breaks, pull the pin and the Ulterra can be completely pulled aboard in 2 min.

1715561833690.png

scn

Mount that Ulterra on a PUCK and if it breaks, pull the pin and the Ulterra can be completely pulled aboard in 2 min.

View attachment 227620
For sure. But, when you have it bolted to the boat, it takes the know how and tools to disable it. That was what my buddy was going through.

Again, when they work, they are at the top. But, when you check reviews, it looks like the issues are pretty frequent for a lot of folks. Hope yours continues to shine!!

redblood

For sure. But, when you have it bolted to the boat, it takes the know how and tools to disable it. That was what my buddy was going through.

Again, when they work, they are at the top. But, when you check reviews, it looks like the issues are pretty frequent for a lot of folks. Hope yours continues to sh

Again, when they work, they are at the top. But, when you check reviews, it looks like the issues are pretty frequent for a lot of folks. Hope yours continues to shine!!
The puck deal sounds like a good idea. I may order one to have it mounted on just in case of future issues

tellico4x4

Had an elderly gentleman put in ahead of me last month with one. He was on a cane and had a little trouble getting around. He disconnected boat from trailer & backed far enough in it floated off ( intentionally). When I put mine in I noticed his boat was about 50 yards out & he was on dock mashing his fob thingy. Motor would unfold but that was it. I retrieved his boat for him but we never could get it to work

redblood

Had an elderly gentleman put in ahead of me last month with one. He was on a cane and had a little trouble getting around. He disconnected boat from trailer & backed far enough in it floated off ( intentionally). When I put mine in I noticed his boat was about 50 yards out & he was on dock mashing his fob thingy. Motor would unfold but that was it. I retrieved his boat for him but we never could get it to work
Sounds like same deal.

7mm08

Uh no. You pull the bracket out that connects the PUCK to the motor and it disconnects totally, all in less than 15 seconds. But if you mount it directly to the the bow then yes it's a problem. The puck is the only thing PERMANENTLY MOUNTED . . Mounting the Ulterra to the bow is asking for problems.. Jim won't mount one without the puck.

I use to disconnect mine at night and store it in the garage.