Management Data

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I was wondering what information people have been collecting from observations and kills to help with their management objectives? I know a lot of places collect weight and jaw bone. Some add the antler measurements also. Based on the data that you collect, how long and what data collected causes you to make changes in your plan?

BSK

The absolutely critical data?

Observation Data:

Date of hunt
Number of antlered bucks observed
Number of adult does observed
Number of fawns observed
Number of unidentifiable deer observed

{from these you can collect adult sex ratio and fawn recruitment rate]

Harvest Data:

Date of harvest
Sex
Live and/or Dressed weight (either collect both or choose one and be consistent)
for does: lactation status (yes/no)
for bucks: antler points, gross score, outside spread

BSK

Additional data that can be useful:

Observation Data:

Hunter
Location of stand hunted
Hours hunted
If you hunt mornings and evenings, then which type of hunt (simply AM or PM)

This additional data will allow you to calculate deer/bucks seen per hour hunted, calculate those numbers for each hunter, find whether morning or evening hunts are better (at a particular time of year or by location), calculate which parts of the property are experiencing the highest/lowest deer/buck sighting rates, etc.

Other data that can be collected that can prove useful:

Weather data:

High and low temperature for the day
Cloud cover (I use three simple definitions: cloudy, clear and partly cloudy)
Primary wind direction and relative speed during each hunt (and by relative speed, I mean simply calm, light, moderate and strong)
Barometric pressure trend
Precipitation (none, rain, storm, snow, etc.)
Moon phase

Calculating the deer/buck sighting rates by each of these weather conditions can be fascinating information.

BSK

One additional piece of observation data I forgot to add, for each buck seen: points and estimated age.

I use this data extensively in my management decisions. What percent of yearling bucks are spikes? That is great data for tracking herd health. What is the sighting rate of 2 1/2+ bucks? 3 1/2+ bucks? Mature bucks?

DoubleRidge

One additional piece of observation data I forgot to add, for each buck seen: points and estimated age.

I use this data extensively in my management decisions. What percent of yearling bucks are spikes? That is great data for tracking herd health. What is the sighting rate of 2 1/2+ bucks? 3 1/2+ bucks? Mature bucks?

Just curious how you use or what decisions you make from "what percent of yearling bucks are spikes?"

Sometimes I see what appears to be a fawn buck with tiny spikes through the skin and think that's great....he's already growing antler....but then see a yearling buck with decent body size and he'll have cow horn spikes and wonder? Genetics? Nutrition? Or?

What would you consider normal for a percentage of yearlings being spikes?

Or...when would you become concerned with a certain percentage of yearlings being spikes?

As always....Thanks!... always appreciate your input!

BSK

The percent of yearling bucks that are spikes is a great indication of growing conditions, as these bucks are so young. Although birth date also is an important player, how they came through their first winter, as well as summer food resources are going to be big players in yearling antler growth. What number to look for will be very site specific, but the important data is the trend over time. Is the number going up, down or staying the same? For instance, our percent of yearlings that are spikes has been going down now that we've produced a lot of natural regrowth on our property. Until this year, with the severe summer drought. Yearling spike incidence sky-rocketed this year, showing the effect the drought had on summer nutrition.

On the flip side, what percent of yearlings have 6 or more points is a great indicator of 1) an early and concentrated rut, and 2) excellent food resources.

DoubleRidge

To give some numeric context to my above post, in the last few years, around 33% of yearlings on my place were spikes. This year, 80%. Over the last three years prior to 2022, 28% of yearling bucks had 6 or more points. This year (2022), 0%.
Very interesting....Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts