Machine shop recommendation

philsanchez76

Hey yall,

I just obtained a heavily used but in good condition 5vze Toyota motor that I want to rebuild and drop in my 92 Toyota Pickup. I will need the heads and prob block machined. Anyone have a trusted machine shop hopefully near greater Nashville area? But I'd be willing to drive for a good shop. Thx.

Gravey

Yessir if you dont mind. im not far from Franklin.
So I was a little off. He did take it originally to some place in Franklin but they didn't get it right. He doesn't remember the name but he said it was a bunch of 80-year old guys. This place in Shelbyville is where he then took it and got it done right. Said one is retired military and they're not fast but he would go back if needed.
IMG_4893.png

philsanchez76

So I was a little off. He did take it originally to some place in Franklin but they didn't get it right. He doesn't remember the name but he said it was a bunch of 80-year old guys. This place in Shelbyville is where he then took it and got it done right. Said one is retired military and they're not fast but he would go back if needed.
View attachment 199132
10-4 thank you sir. ill check em out!

tacoma2002

2-Step Enabled
Hey yall,

I just obtained a heavily used but in good condition 5vze Toyota motor that I want to rebuild and drop in my 92 Toyota Pickup. I will need the heads and prob block machined. Anyone have a trusted machine shop hopefully near greater Nashville area? But I'd be willing to drive for a good shop. Thx.
Check out Yota1 for your internals. They use all high quality parts in their kits, but they're pricy.

One thing I've learned from building Toyota engines is that "close enough" clearances or "decent" internal parts do not hold up.

LCE make some good kits also, but I prefer the Yota1 stuff for the $$$.

Wade195

I would encourage you to clean things up and check them before any machine work.

Just because the have some miles on them does not mean any machine work is needed.

lots of time a simple clean up and a light hone can salvage a cylinder block.

And often cylinder heads can have valves ground and seats cut.

Just my 2 cents.

philsanchez76

Check out Yota1 for your internals. They use all high quality parts in their kits, but they're pricy.

One thing I've learned from building Toyota engines is that "close enough" clearances or "decent" internal parts do not hold up.

LCE make some good kits also, but I prefer the Yota1 stuff for the $$$.
Yes already ordering some stuff from yota1 and ORS for this rebuild and conversion. I wanna do this right the first time!

philsanchez76

I would encourage you to clean things up and check them before any machine work.

Just because the have some miles on them does not mean any machine work is needed.

lots of time a simple clean up and a light hone can salvage a cylinder block.

And often cylinder heads can have valves ground and seats cut.

Just my 2 cents.
Good call. This motor did have over 300k on it but was still running perfectly when pulled

hillbillyfab

Bumping this.. Did you decide on a machine shop? I ask because I've got an engine that needs some machine work. Curious you're experience.

hillbillyfab

Not yet. im reaching out to shacklett and Hastings both. a little behind on the project due to thanksgiving etc. what's your project?
I wasn't rushing, just hoping you had a good experience with a shop. Our project is nothing cool or exciting, we've got a little Nissan hardbody truck that burns a little oil. We use it like a side by side here on the place and a backup vehicle for our main vehicles. It's always hauling something or somebody. My 15-year-old son has learned to drive a stick in this little truck. I figured if we fix the little 4 cylinder in it, it'll last a few more decades.

philsanchez76

I wasn't rushing, just hoping you had a good experience with a shop. Our project is nothing cool or exciting, we've got a little Nissan hardbody truck that burns a little oil. We use it like a side by side here on the place and a backup vehicle for our main vehicles. It's always hauling something or somebody. My 15-year-old son has learned to drive a stick in this little truck. I figured if we fix the little 4 cylinder in it, it'll last a few more decades.
Very cool. Love those old harbodies. ill definitely let you know once I get further.

mike52

I recently had my grandsons D21 2.4 in my garage with a oil in water problem. This truck was given to him by his grandmother. Had been sitting for about 5 years when he got it. Almost immediately the head gasket started leaking coolant . Problem got worse and finanilly got oil in water. Pulled head and took to Headworks of Nashville. Had them pressure check head and mill it. Guys did good job. Truck is a 1993 with about 140,000 miles /had no wear that I could see in cylinders. Did not have the valves ground but I did put new valve stem seals and checked guides for wear. Back up and running so maybe will last another 30 years.

Latest posts