Food Plots Lost cause?

pass-thru

This past winter I got an impulse to put some plots in my hunting place back home. I don't make it back that way but every few months, so I bought the seed and made arrangements for the guy who does the bush hogging to plow, disk and plant imperial clover. Big mistake.....I didn't use round up to kill of the vegetation beforehand. But this was not planned out well in advance.

He does the tracker work and planting in the March timeframe. We had planned to do close to 2 acres, but what I ended up with is probably under an acre. In three little plots.

I went back in late April and tried spray the grass that was coming up.

Was back for this past weekend and seems the weeds are winning. I went back weed ate all three plots to about 4 inchs, trying to cut back the competing weeds. We have had lots of rain. I think the biggest problem is that the deer attack the clover. There is 50+ deer/sq mile in this area, and they have been hitting that clover hard. The biggest plot is close to half acre, looks the best. Just has some competing grass in places. The other 2 have more weeds than clover at this point. I weed ate the smallest on Thursday moring, and the clover looked better already by Sunday.

What should I do at this point? Is it worth treating with herbicides to fight the weeds....if so when?

Two big lessons for me: kill the ground cover off good and plant plots big enough so that they won't get browsed out so fast.

Stick'n'String

A pure clover stand sure is pretty but deer don't always like pretty. ;)

I would spray with 2,4DB and not be overly concerned with having a pure clover stand.

pass-thru

I ordered some clethodim and hopefully get it by this weekend. What's the diffence between it and Poast...other than aprice?

Hunter 257W

pass-thru said:
I ordered some clethodim and hopefully get it by this weekend. What's the diffence between it and Poast...other than aprice?

Poast is the grass killer that I had always been familiar with and it has worked for me well in the past. I switched to Clethodim this year though because I couldn't find Poast anywhere locally. I read on the forum here that others were using Clethodim so got some and it worked great. It's been so long since I saw Poast that I can't comment on the cost difference between the two chemicals.

pass-thru

I made the trip and sprayed my plots today. They looked a lot better a week after weed eating. I got clethodim from these guys http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/fo ... 8e6ff06920 and the customer service was great....called Wed night and they had it delivered by Sat. I've never used clethodim so I hope it works good. Probably be labor day before I get back to check again. If the grasses are killed, that's 90% of my problem now.

Hunter 257W

Mr. Hawk said:
Where do u buy clethodim?

Sorry for the long delay in responding - I got mine from "Keystonepest", the same as Pass-thru mentioned. It worked great in a 4 acre Alfa-Rack field. The only grass left is some narrow strips that I missed when spraying and I had a serious Johnson grass problem before.

Latest posts