Loaders/reloaders???

Tenntrapper

Just curious as to how many rounds of hunting ammo you keep loaded? Do you load what you have components for, or keep as components until needed?
Not talking about target/plinking ammo...only what you hunt with.

Remi

I usually keep 10-20 rounds loaded for deer rifles.

Hog/beaver/coyote/etc is .223 and 6.5 Grendel territory so there is a bunch, especially .223. 55gr sp and 55gr hp as well as mucho 75 bthp. For paper, steel and killing I reach for the 75's more and more.

backyardtndeer

I have plenty of components for all that we hunt with to last well beyond my lifetime. I like to keep at least 20 rounds for each for deer when season starts.

For 223, 55 grain varmageddon tipped, I like to keep a minimum of 50 rounds boxed, not counting what's in mags. Usually have no less than 50 in mags rtg.

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
Just curious as to how many rounds of hunting ammo you keep loaded? Do you load what you have components for, or keep as components until needed?
Not talking about target/plinking ammo...only what you hunt with.
I keep a log of what I load, with a spreadsheet where I track what I have on hand component wise. For hunting ammo, I will load 50-100 at time, depending on how many bullets are in the box. I try to keep at least 2 boxes in the big ammo can. For things like 38 spl, I will load 1K at a time.

Unless I start shooting a lot more, my ammo will outlive me.

Omega

For hunting, I do one hundred once I find a good load for the rifle. If I ever notice the group opening up within those hundred, I'll load another ladder and start over, but it hasn't happened yet. My ARs all have well above 100, as do my other semi autos like the M1 and M14, AKs etc and of course all my pistol calibers are well stocked as well.

348Winchester

Reloading for multiple calibers keeps me busy. For hunting calibers, anywhere from 20-40. For handguns several hundred. Some calibers I just don't shoot much so I keep enough components to load them if I need them.

Here's what calibers I reload for:

25-20 WCF
25-35WCF
250-3000 Sav
270 Win
30-30 Win
30 Luger
30 Remington
38 Special
32-20 WCF
357 Magnum
38 Super
38-40 WCF
30 Carbine
30-40 Krag
300 Savage
303 British
308 Win
30-06 Sprg
32 Win Spl
32 Rem
348 Win
38-55 WCF
44-40 WCF
44 Spl
44 Mag
45-70 Govt
45 Auto/Rim
45 Colt
500 S&W

The one I load most is 45 Colt. I started with a Lee Classic loader and a mallet at the kitchen table. Some 255 grain lead bullets and a can of Unique and primers. Shot my first reloaded cartridge out the kitchen window and was hooked. Damn! That was 30 years ago.

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
Here's what calibers I reload for:

The one I load most is 45 Colt. I started with a Lee Classic loader and a mallet at the kitchen table. Some 255 grain lead bullets and a can of Unique and primers. Shot my first reloaded cartridge out the kitchen window and was hooked. Damn! That was 30 years ago.
And I thought my list was long and it's only about 1/3 of yours. My neighbor was a reloader who introduced me to it as a kid. My brother and I started reloading about 40 years ago.

348Winchester

And I thought my list was long and it's only about 1/3 of yours. My neighbor was a reloader who introduced me to it as a kid. My brother and I started reloading about 40 years ago.
For about 15 years I was almost obsessed with it. I reloaded almost every day for about five of those fifteen years. Often, I did it for friends that would buy the components and I would take 20% of the total if it was a cartridge we had in common. I have reloaded for other cartridges in the past like 6.5x55 Swede, 7.62x54 Russian, 35 Remington, and 10mm auto but no longer have those guns except for a 10mm.

I used to be a hellva shot with various 45 Colt pistols because of all the practice that came with reloading.

348Winchester

With odd/obsolete calibers like 351 and 401 Winchester Self-Loader reloading is a must. I used to load for these as well but sold the rifles, dies, etc to a guy a few years ago.

Lt.Dan

I keep a log of what I load, with a spreadsheet where I track what I have on hand component wise. For hunting ammo, I will load 50-100 at time, depending on how many bullets are in the box. I try to keep at least 2 boxes in the big ammo can. For things like 38 spl, I will load 1K at a time.

Unless I start shooting a lot more, my ammo will outlive me.
If you need help shooting that .38 special just give me a shout.

Latest posts