Indian Cave?

Slaughter-06

I found this while hunting in Ill. last week. Who do you think stacked these rocks up for shelter?

Indians, early settler, Davy Crockett?

SD530130.jpg

SD530131.jpg

SD530132.jpg

Wonder who slept in this cave?

Physiksgeek

Looks like your run of the mill two-bedroom rock cave/shelter. Highly sought after back in the day! Probably even still sought after today just that today the market has become somewhat smaller....:)

Very neat!

Slaughter-06

Chris Tripp said:
Indians no doubt, would be a great place to dig.

I thought about that after I got home, I think I will go back there and look around a little more.

Would you look in there or out front under the leaves by the camp fire? :D

Locksley

There is a cave in Tennessee on private land near the old Railroad line between Nashville and Clarksville TN.
It is called saltpeter cave on the topo maps of Cheatham county and it is for sure a indian cave. I always wanted to explore that cave for relics but time never worked out right as hunting and work seemed to be more important at the time . Someone needs to dig that cave for artifacts it is bound to have many .
This is a area close to the mouth of Scamore creek so that area should have simalar type curtural finds.

Bradbury, Andrew P. (Cultural Resource Analysts, Inc.). 1995. THE EARLY HOLOCENE OCCUPATION OF 40CH162. Archaeological investigations at 40Ch162, Cheatham County, Tennessee revealed the presence of buried prehistoric cultural material within early Holocene aged alluvial deposits. Diagnostic artifacts from these deposits included Kirk, Early Side-Notched (Big Sandy I), and Quad forms in addition to unifacial tool forms. A sample of charcoal associated with a hearth situated below the Early Side-Notched forms was AMS dated to 10,350 +/- 60 B.P. This paper will present a summary of the results of these excavations.
http://www.mtsu.edu/~kesmith/TNARCH/CRI ... racts.html
Giliberti, Joseph A. (Brockington And Associates, Inc.). 1998. PHASE III DATA RECOVERY AT THE CHANDLER SITE (40CH74), CHEATHAM COUNTY, TENNESSEE. During the late summer, 1997, Brockington and Associates, Inc. conducted Phase III data recovery of a small portion of the Chandler site (40Ch74). This site is a multi-component occupation area located adjacent to Sycamore Creek, a tributary of the Cumberland River in Cheatham County, Tennessee. The site contains several reported mounds and stone box graves. Excavations, however, did not include impacting any of the reported mounds. The Phase III investigations included digging six 2-meter by 1-meter-square units and then stripping of the area of direct impact of a proposed water intake structure and parking lot. Results of the excavation indicated that most of the area tested was heavily disturbed. Site stripping revealed two large pit features dating to the Middle and Late Woodland periods. The most intriguing data from the study concerns these two features and includes analysis of the recovered ceramics and associated radiocarbon dates.

Locksley

While coal is found at various places on the plateau, the largest amount of strip-mining has traditionally occurred in Morgan, Scott, Campbell, and Anderson counties in a broad, downwarped area surrounded by resistant caprock. Inside the basins are high mountains carved from folded layers of sedimentary rocks that have long since disappeared from other parts of the plateau.

Initially, the plateau served primarily as a seasonal hunting ground for the Cherokee and Shawnee Indians, who never established permanent village sites. Instead, they used caves and rock houses cut by the streams and rivers along the walls of the steep canyons as their temporary quarters. Some of these homes are important archeological sites. Later, the longhunters of the Daniel Boone era (so named because of the long duration of their hunting forays, or because of the long rifles and long knives they carried) used some of the rock houses for shelter before they built cabins as hunting bases.

http://www.sherpaguides.com/tennessee/u ... index.html

buckngrind

I can take you right to it Im sorry to say I would bet my lfe savings that many before us has already been there I used to know the owners of the land that it was on I think they might still own it at this time. My sister and the owners daughter were childhood friends and they played there many times My father told my stories about that cave there is a rock formation deep inside that looks like a stalk of banannas . He said that it was used as a civil war hospital . When the railroad was running the owners of the land were always finding and runnig off hobos that were riding the rails .I know my older brother years ago looked around inside and outside and didnt find much then and that was 20 years ago . But good luck you never know what will turn up (its in the neptune area in cheatham county)

Locksley

Yes it is and it has a waterfall way back in it. It will have to be dug to find anything as the dirt floor will have 20th century stuff in it. The lower levels of dirt will go back in time the deeper you dig.

Latest posts