Importing deer from CWD states

AT Hiker

Here is a screen shot of the "verbiage". Clear as mud.
c493844a9e0014d12934fcdcba6b5592.png

A peer of mine also called about Ft Campbell and the TWRA guy he talked to said it was a "grey area". Lol, not sure what that means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TN Whitetail Freak

I was actually trying to find a taxidermist in KY today as a just in case I killed something. I thought about processing the deer before importing because I'd rather use my local taxidermist but I then read the requirements of what needed to be done. So hypothetically speaking if I had killed a deer right at grey light let's say 7:40 PM It would be pushing midnight or later before I got the deer drug back to the truck, deboned, caped out, and have the propane setup boiling the skull in the bed of my truck. Then I'd have a 2 hour drive back to the house looking at around 3am. And I'm sure the taxidermist isn't awake. I'd rather just find a quality guy in KY than to deal with that headache

tnhunter69

Me and my buddy just got back from Kentucky hunting last week and both killed good bucks. If you hunt on the western side of Kentucky we found a taxidermy/processor that will de-bone your meat and pack in plastic bags for $120 and will cape it all the way out and clean and rap cape and skull for $50 so you can take it back home to your own taxidermist. Dowdy's Taxidermy in Mayfield Kentucky and was a super nice guy. At first we thought he was a little high but to bring your trophy buck back with our new laws and he does it all while you wait it was really not that bad of a price.

JArender

I wanted to add to this post that they have now clarified that green capes (that have been removed from the skull)can be transported

Tennessee's Law On Importation Of Wildlife Carcasses, Parts, And Product

If you harvest a deer, elk or moose from anywhere outside the state, it must be properly processed before bringing it back into Tennessee.of Tennessee)

No person may import, transport, or possess in Tennessee a cervid carcass or carcass part from anywhere outside state except as provided herein:

(a) Meat that has bones removed.
(b) Antlers, antlers attached to cleaned skull plates, or cleaned skulls
(where no meat or tissues are attached to the skull.)
(c) Cleaned teeth.
(d) Finished taxidermy and antler products.
(e) Hides (tanned or green) and tanned products.

Latest posts