I wanna build a 1k yard rifle

recurve60#

Are you going to shoot animals at 1000yds or targets at 1000yds, or both?
I don't plan on shooting at game over 400 yards away. 350 I've done a few times. Would like to hit targets at 1k and still have a handy rifle though.
I have found some interesting info in researching though.
Screenshot_20240520_221340_Chrome.jpg

Remi

I don't plan on shooting at game over 400 yards away. 350 I've done a few times. Would like to hit targets at 1k and still have a handy rifle though.
I have found some interesting info in researching though.View attachment 228512

My limit on critters is 400ish.

I am a 6 and 6.5 fan for sure. I have 243 win, 6cm, 6.5 Grendel, 260 rem and 6.5cm.

Here is a new addition to gunbroker: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1050830995

I have a similar 24" adl in .243 win that I bedded into a Ti stock that I've taken out to 1k and it doubles as a dandy hunting rifle. I'm not a big 24" barrel fan on hunting rifles but those are thin enough profiled you're not carrying a 12lb rifle through the woods.

fairchaser

After you decide the caliber, the next thing to decide is the bullet and then the barrel twist, contour and length. The chamber must handle that bullet with the correct freebore and neck dimensions. In some cases you can buy a precut barrel ready to go. The action and stock follow up.after that. Best of luck!

cm1021

If you're really wanting to build vs buy, start with a good action, find a known prefit, and drop it in a good stock and you're ready to roll.

I've built bith savage and 700 platforms and both would shoot. It all depends on how much you like to tinker, want aftermarket accessories, and then money.

The easy button and cheaper is a savage action with a nice prefit, I've ran criterion and been very happy.

If you're wanting the 700 platform which I've gone to, look at zermatt for an action or the nucleus. I've got 2 TL3 actions and 3 origins. You can have a shouldered prefit delivered to your door.

That's just my .02. Worth less than what you paid for it. 🤣

Yota

I'm thinking 260 Rem.
I bought a Mod 7 Rem in the late 90's and love it.
I'd like to do this with a rifle that's still practical to hunt with. 22 to 24" barrel, 1:8 twist.
I've been looking recently and all see is Savage rifles. Is anyone else still making a 260?
And no,no creedmore, I'm not looking for that.

You will only see the diff bw 260 and 6.5 cr at transonic distances and if too reload and can lengthen the COAL. Ammo availability is vastly diff.

I'm not a 6.5 homer just saying do your homework. There's a 6.5 bergara in the classifieds here that will shoot steel at 1k all day long. As others are saying, if you want to kill big stuff at 1000, 300 prc or win mag would be my choice.

Tikka CTR in a 260 is the answer you seek for an off the shelf 260. You can upgrade the stock or barrel later if you wish. Eurooptic stocks them and ships fast. I would do that and a Leupold Mk 5 3-18 w a tmr and start shooting. See if Prime Ammo has any 260 in stock. It is super reliable MV and I like their customer service.

backyardtndeer

Done
Aero precision makes very great products for what they cost, they own Stag and ballistic advantage too. You can buy directly from them, usually can get promos or coupon codes when you leave a review that make their price cheaper than online retailers.

double browtine

My brother in law has a Springfield in 6.5 PRC with a carbon Fiber barrel that shoots some impressive groups at 750 yards. He hasn't ever shot it at 1000 but he has shot a couple sub 4" groups at 750 with handloads. If i could justify spending $4k on a gun and scope I would have one just like it. So I would say 6.5 PRC would be a great choice.

jlanecr500

As long as I'm able, I'd rather build my own.

I've heard more than once to stay away from the carbon fiber wrapped barrels if you plan on shooting tight groups at distance. POI tends to move around as they warm up.
Now they are the real deal for a hunting rifle that is carried

MUP

As long as I'm able, I'd rather build my own.

I've heard more than once to stay away from the carbon fiber wrapped barrels if you plan on shooting tight groups at distance. POI tends to move around as they warm up.
Now they are the real deal for a hunting rifle that is carried
Same in the .22 Rimfire arena, good for hunting and plinking but not so much for superior accuracy.

Openlake

Lots of good comments. I suggest you clearly define what you're wanting.
What's your budget?

What game are you targeting, Whitetail deer or Grizzly. .260 is nice for deer, under powered for the Grizz.

A 5lb. Mountain rifle or a heavy barreled sandbag blind gun. Both are hunting rifles.

What barrel manufacturer do you want. Most factory barrels are forged (good and cheaper to make). Custom barrels are either carbide button or single cut. Both produce much smoother and consistent rifling but cost more.
Barrel twist depends on your caliber and planned bullet weight.

The model 7 is a great choice as you already have it. However, many times you (gunsmith) spends a lot of time trying/squaring the action threads/lugs and a true custom action is already nearly perfect, just pricey.

22" will work but 24" is better and 26" has advantages if you really stress the long range part.

Stock, McMillan or similar fiberglass stock glass and pillar bedded. Free float the barrel.

Trigger should be adjusted to be clean/crisp. Again, a smith can do that on the Remington but there are a lot of drop in triggers that offer easy adjustability if you want a different pull later on.

Scope mounts, height and weight all to be considered based upon glass. And the glass generally will cost as much as the gun. Don't go cheap. Zeiss/Swarovski/Kahles/Leupold are brands that off high end glass.

Read a lot of long range hunting forums to see what others are using for 1000 yard shooting.
Good luck and let us know where you end up.

cm1021

The longer I keep looking the more my brain is scrambled.
I'm finding some good rifles built for it, but I wanna put some meaning in "build"
There's a lot of options today to be your own "gunsmith" and still have an accurate rifle that will go to 1k yards. Ivr taken my .243 Win to 1300. Now i wouldn't hunt that far, but theres a lot of cartridges put there to do both.

If you want a shouldered barrel ths takes away savages, but theyre sort of the easiest of assemble. Kind of like legos.

Remi

My 6cm savage and tools I used. Not pictures is the Scotch tape I headspace's it with. Super easy to swap parts on the Savages.

It's way too long and way to heavy to do anything with but targets, lol. That's a 20" Howa mini it's towering over.

Attachments

• IMG_2739.jpeg
    IMG_2739.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2741.jpeg
    IMG_2741.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2742.jpeg
    IMG_2742.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2743.jpeg
    IMG_2743.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Remi

The longer I keep looking the more my brain is scrambled.
I'm finding some good rifles built for it, but I wanna put some meaning in "build"

Latest posts