Hunting knife

Winchester

Stykbow":16ng93t4 said:
Winchester":16ng93t4 said:
I carry a custom made fixed blade a friend made for me about 30 yrs ago. A 4" knife will do any and all work on a Whitetail deer.

Got a pic? I'm a knife junky and would like to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not on me but will try to remember when I get home. I gave him the antler to use for the handle off a shed I found. Cool little knife that will stay sharp longer than any other ive ever owned or used.

PharmDHunter

Just bought a buck 110 today after reading this thread. I've never had the opportunity to field dress a deer before so trusting I made a good purchase. Can't wait to use it. But it seems like the deer in Hamblen county are on winter vacation

Huntaholic

Tennessee Lead":12h7mt1h said:
Huntaholic":12h7mt1h said:
A gerber bolt action exchange is what I normally carry. However Ive used everything from a high end custom to a broadhead blade at one time or another.
Those are sweet!
You got all the blades?

Of course! LOL Actually Ive got 2 of them, one that's mint, never sharpened that stays put up and another that I carry and use.

rukiddin

Case triple changer. Didn't know there was any other kind. Haha. Cleaned more deer with it than some will ever see.

Bad habit

I have used a bunch to include the so-called perfect drop points blades. So far the best skinning knife and knife for small work is a Knives of Alaska Jaeger. It is a 3 1/2 inch thin bladed knife that is super nimble. I first received one of these as a gift and also return the favor to others.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/ ... type%3DGNU

For deboning most 4 or 5 inch deboning knives leave everything else in the dust.

For heavier work such as taking apart a pelvis or hind quarters I use a Buck 102. It has enough horsepower that it would take a hell of a lot to break it. Very easy to hold and maneuver. Never though I would have used one until it was given as a gift. That ESEE knife looks interesting, though.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/ ... _104330880

Boone 58

My Favorite is a 2 blade case, the larger blade for the rough work including breaking thru the rib cage and the thin blade is perfect for skinning and stays sharper that way for not using on bone. Wouldn't be without it!

Mike Belt

I keep all my good knives in my safe and they're never used... sort of a mini collection. I carried a Gerber for several years but the last 3 or 4 seasons I've been using an Outdoor Edge. Relatively inexpensive and can be found easily so can be replaced if lost or broken. Single blade and a gut hook. Sharpens fairly easy and holds an edge long enough for me to gut, skin, and quarter 3 deer without a problem. Orange handle makes finding it in leaves easier. I never carry it on my belt and a folding knife just takes up less room in my already overstuffed ditty bag.

walker

Been carrying a puma. For the last 20 years good knife but has always been a pain to get sharp for some reason!

TX300mag

Boone 58":127envf3 said:

My Favorite is a 2 blade case, the larger blade for the rough work including breaking thru the rib cage and the thin blade is perfect for skinning and stays sharper that way for not using on bone. Wouldn't be without it!

I got one as a Christmas gift from my crew at work today. Can't wait to try it out.

CDUB

Schrade old timer with gut hook since mid 90's. Cheap, sharp, light and easy to pack. Occasionally take one of my good knives (meula) but usually keep them in the safe.

jaybird62

Schrade Little Finger. Got my first one in 1979. Lost it, then found after I got another one with a black micarta handle in 1992. More than 200 gutted and skinned and still doing its job.