Hunting apps, interesting feature

backyardtndeer

With the talk of apps for mapping and hunting coming up a couple times recently, I downloaded and looked around the free versions of basemap and huntstand. Downloaded onx, but never created an account, and ended up just deleting it.
Said I wouldn't ever use huntstand again, but figured I would look around their free version. Anyway, got to looking around huntstand last night and noticed a crops history feature. I checked it out, and I don't know how exactly they get their data, but they had my small soybean plantings right for the years I planted them where I had planted them.

So, how are they getting that data? Pretty cool feature, I may just go on and pay for the $20.99 holiday special with them.

Tenntrapper

With the talk of apps for mapping and hunting coming up a couple times recently, I downloaded and looked around the free versions of basemap and huntstand. Downloaded onx, but never created an account, and ended up just deleting it.
Said I wouldn't ever use huntstand again, but figured I would look around their free version. Anyway, got to looking around huntstand last night and noticed a crops history feature. I checked it out, and I don't know how exactly they get their data, but they had my small soybean plantings right for the years I planted them where I had planted them.

So, how are they getting that data? Pretty cool feature, I may just go on and pay for the $20.99 holiday special with them.
It's them black helicopters flying around. They were looking for your dope field... 😂
When they just found soybeans...they entered it into "the system". They are patterning you... 😂

Honestly, I got no idea...but that's pretty cool.

Antler Daddy

Spartan forge is going to have Lidar maps. I reckon I will give it a try after watching a podcast on it.

Last edited:

killingtime 41

I've been using HuntStand for years and if a deal is going in at that price I wouldn't hesitate cause I pay 40 bucks.

BigCityBubba

I don't know if its still true but huntstand is more up to date on landowners and property lines. I bought land in 2015 and then some more from my neighbor in 2018 and huntstand took about a year to get updated each time. I am not sure the other apps even have my name on the property yet.

Wrangler95

I subscribe to OnX and I like it.I used to have the free version of Huntstand and it was pretty good but it didnt have property lines or owners!

Iglow

The property lines in my area are way off in the ONX and Spartan Forge apps
I canceled and deleted OnX yesterday, Coker told me about it a couple of years ago and at the time I thought , "that's useful maybe". One of our farms has some public on one border and 3 times in the last 4 months I've had to deal with trespassers, first thing they do is pull out they phones and start showing the OnX map that has the line wrong. 2 of the 3 times it's been yankees that just moved here and are out playing "The Hunting Public", it makes me sick. My canceling isn't gonna help but I'll be danged if I'll finance my own trouble.

Last edited:

BSK

I canceled and deleted OnX yesterday, Coker told me about it a couple of years ago and at the time I thought , "that's useful maybe". One of our farms has some public on one border and 3 times in the last 4 months I've had to deal with trespassers, first thing they do is pull out they phones and start showing the OnX map that has the line wrong. 2 of the 3 times it's been yankees that just moved here and are out playing "The Hunting Public", makes me sick. My canceling isn't gonna help but I'll be danged if I'll finance my own trouble.
It isn't OnX that has the lines wrong. All of the hunting apps get their property lines from the same source - the tax assessor's office.

Iglow

It isn't OnX that has the lines wrong. All of the hunting apps get their property lines from the same source - the tax assessor's office.
The lines being wrong is beside the point, it's another example of technology making hunting worse not better. OnX enables the most unwoodswise dunce to tramp at will practically anywhere at any time day or night. It made what was once likely inaccessible accessible. It has destroyed what buffer public hunting land had and that's a bad thing.

JCDEERMAN

The map our tax assessor office gave us and the one online has a section of our property over 150 yards off and running about 400 yards long. It has gone through 2 surveys over the years and shown these maps are off. Oh how I wish they'd be right, as we would have quite a bit more land!

killingtime 41

The lines being wrong is beside the point, it's another example of technology making hunting worse not better. OnX enables the most unwoodswise dunce to tramp at will practically anywhere at any time day or night. It made what was once likely inaccessible accessible. It has destroyed what buffer public hunting land had and that's a bad thing.
It has made it way more difficult hunting public land. Now even people with tons of private land to hunt are out on public. YouTube has made it somehow in fashion to be kill a buck on public land. Even though almost all who have to hunt public would love to have plenty of private to hunt. And never step foot on public again. Technology is a double edge sword. One side sharp the other dull.

BSK

The tree type layer of OnX doesn't work on my place at all. It just shows a few scattered oaks (all types), even though 80% of my standing timber is white and red oak. It also doesn't pick up my patches of planted pines (young or old).

Latest posts