hog cooking

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
If you got the right place ?? Wrap it tight in some fence wire. The kind with 4 or 6 inch squares. Hang it from something ?? A swing set works good. Build your fire with hardwood 4 to 6 feet away from the hanging pig. Shovel the hot coals under him.A small pit under him will help hold the heat and coals. After one end cooks 4 or 5 hours flip the other end down.I usally flip em 2 or 3 times to be sure it's all cooked thru. A small pig can be cooked in about 12 to 14 hours a larger Hog can take 16 to18 hours. Before you wrap him up salt and season well. Get a injector and pump him full of marinade. Italian dressing works good.I put a pan under it and catch the drippings and baste with them. After you get the materails together it's not hard. Takes awhile. Maybe a rick or 2 of wood.
If you don't have a place to do the whole thing. Quarter him up and do about the same thing one ham or shoulder at a time on a BIG grill.

A

Anonymous

When i lived in Pa. used to do them in ground.. Just took Grey clay and wrapped it around them.. was usually 3-5 inches thick..had a hole in ground and placed 10 to 12 inches of hot coals then covered that up with same amount of dirt.. laid hog in and also covered that with wet burlap and moss and dirt.. then forgot about it for around 24 hours...always came out great..also used to do lobsters and clams almost the same way.. talk about good eating..

LadyMarlin

R.I.P.
dang the food channel had a contest just a couple days back, cooking a wild boar.
it was fun to watch those professional chefs rushing around in the kitchen. AND the food they created looked marvelous.
I would be you could find all the recipes on their website if you looked.

fyi, they were using grilled pineapple and watermelon to serve as sides. Awesome show, as it was also showing the way they trimmed each section of meat.

Latest posts