High brass vs. Low Brass

Francis

I have started reloading shotshell/slugs. I have done reloading in the past (long time ago, galaxy far, far away) but mostly rifle/pistol reloading. I have all the gear to do 2 3/4" and 3" 12 ga. Shot and rifled slug, to include the roll type crimps using an MEC sizer and low rpm drill press. With all this said, I am having trouble finding the specifictions regarding brass height. I had ordered 100 primed cheddite 3" hulls to do my slugs (hastings reproductions) but got fat fingered and orderd 16 mm instead of 25 mm. Does it matter? In years gone buy, rule of thumb was 3" magnum load =high brass. Field loads =low brass. The manuals I have don't show alot of self defense "00" loads using 3" shells. What they call out are 2 3/4 low brass hulls. Any experiences, links, etc on this subject will be appreciated.

Tiny

Been a long time since I did any shotshell loading and never did get into the slugs or buck shot loads.However I don't recall seeing data broke down by "Hi" or "Low" brass but by "Hull Type",ie Win-"AA" "Uplands" = Low brass, Win-Super X= High Brass.
So you want to look at hull type in your data instead of hi or low brass.You can tell it's been awhile LOL

Might check the web site of Lyman and Lee don't know if either offer online data though,this site might be of help to you I k

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... /971103014

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.

.45 COLT

Brass height doesn't indicate strength or make any difference what kind of load you can put in them. I'm pretty sure the two Cheddite hulls have the same internal dimensions. Way back, a Low Brass hull had a high basewad and was used for target loads, a High Brass hull had a low basewad (greater internal capacity) and was used for field loads. It's pretty much cosmetic now. Activ, Wanda and some Herters hulls were made with no brass at all - Activ had a washer in the base for extraction - and they could be heavily loaded.

I believe the Alliant Powder website has 00 loads for 3" shells.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/

DC

Francis

You are correct sir. I have been doing alot of research, to include calling a couple of technical services divisions, emails, etc. In the past low brass indicated field loads. High brass indicated magnum type loads. Over the years the plastics got better and low brass was the way they went. High brass now "helps" on the rifled slugs since they have higher pressures, but you can actually use low brass even on alot of them. Thanks.

Latest posts