Help with jawbone age please

GOODWIN

Only pic I got
1671828805774.jpeg

fairchaser

Look at the dentyne lines in the molars. The dark part. See how the last one (two humps) has the thinnest line because more and more dentyne shows as the tooth wears down. The last molar is the youngest molar. That's the 5.5 year old molar. The next one is the 4.5 year old molar then the 3.5 year old molar. Meaning when the dark line is 50% of the tooth it's that age. In this deer, the 4.5 year old molar is open as well as the 3,5 year old but not the last molar which is the 5.5 year old molar. Thus he's 4.5. There are other markers but that's the main ones to know.

GOODWIN

Look at the dentyne lines in the molars. The dark part. See how the last one (two humps) has the thinnest line because more and more dentyne shows as the tooth wears down. The last molar is the youngest molar. That's the 5.5 year old molar. The next one is the 4.5 year old molar then the 3.5 year old molar. Meaning when the dark line is 50% of the tooth it's that age. In this deer, the 4.5 year old molar is open as well as the 3,5 year old but not the last molar which is the 5.5 year old molar. Thus he's 4.5. There are other markers but that's the main ones to know.
Thanks that's easy to remember. I'll look more into it. Got another one I killed I'll post here soon.

Andy S.

Last edited:

Latest posts