Heartbreak

deerkiller300wsm

The fox's foot is on the pan. Set was froze solid. I don't have wax dirt, yet. The coyote didn't commit to working set. The fox went on to dig up my next trap on the line. I remade the sets today with peat moss and a little salt. We will see it guess. Y'all got any advice? It is heart breaking to walk up and see paw prints on you set! 😂

Attachments

• IMG_6761.png
    IMG_6761.png
    114.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6762.jpeg
    IMG_6762.jpeg
    350.9 KB · Views: 11

Planking

Ive had a rough go as well. Misses, digouts and traps not firing. I ordered parafinn wax blocks and an infrared thermometer last night so i can make wax dirt. Im going to try and use a campfire to do it. It will be my first attempt at it but i think it's what im missing.

deerkiller300wsm

Ive had a rough go as well. Misses, digouts and traps not firing. I ordered parafinn wax blocks and an infrared thermometer last night so i can make wax dirt. Im going to try and use a campfire to do it. It will be my first attempt at it but i think it's what im missing.
I need to just make some myself as well. Will probably just make a gallon at a time with the propane burner and turkey pan. Good luck. Wish I could get a hold of 5 gallons real quick!

rem270

I was totally unprepared for this cold weather for foot holds. Rookie mistake. Bought about 80 lbs of peat moss today. Have some flake type antifreeze stuff I'll spread under and over the trap. Going out late tonight when I get time to set them and move and add some DP's. I'll dig up and rebed my other foot holds behind my house tomorrow.

jman 125

I tripped everything before the big freeze and went out this evening and reset some close on our place. Gonna let this weather next week get done and remake all sets and if its like anything in the past should hammer the coyotes. They are getting hungry and desperate. I just learned to trip everything and reset on a warm up and i always do better on those days

rem270

@deerkiller300wsm I was the same way as you today. Which I knew mine had frozen over and didn't even attempt to dig up and reset last week. I moved 2 and rebedded 2 behind my house earlier and I got up to one and fresh dirt was showing and the top of my trap. Coyote poop around it and stunk to high heaven around there. If I'd just been prepared I'd had a definite catch I assume. But I got 2 huge bags of peat moss yesterday and have some flaky antifreeze stuff now so I should be good. I put out 12 DP's and 2 foot holds at my other property this morning. I feel like it's going to get good this week.

deerkiller300wsm

@deerkiller300wsm I was the same way as you today. Which I knew mine had frozen over and didn't even attempt to dig up and reset last week. I moved 2 and rebedded 2 behind my house earlier and I got up to one and fresh dirt was showing and the top of my trap. Coyote poop around it and stunk to high heaven around there. If I'd just been prepared I'd had a definite catch I assume. But I got 2 huge bags of peat moss yesterday and have some flaky antifreeze stuff now so I should be good. I put out 12 DP's and 2 foot holds at my other property this morning. I feel like it's going to get good this week.
Good luck my friend!

tellico4x4

I made it last year for first time on gas grill & aluminum turkey pan, worked great. Being able to shut lid was a plus I thought. Ordered 10# of flaked wax the other day, should have already had it done....
Going to put some "pipe sets" out when this rain is over, rain & freezing temp shouldn't affect them much . Have a buddy in AR that started using them last year & really happy with them. He put a few out during this past snow & had yotes in them the next morning

deerkiller300wsm

I made it last year for first time on gas grill & aluminum turkey pan, worked great. Being able to shut lid was a plus I thought. Ordered 10# of flaked wax the other day, should have already had it done....
Going to put some "pipe sets" out when this rain is over, rain & freezing temp shouldn't affect them much . Have a buddy in AR that started using them last year & really happy with them. He put a few out during this past snow & had yotes in them the next morning
I have been seeing a lot about pipe dream sets and hay sets

Latest posts