Getting Started - Coons

Southern Sportsman

Although I have been doing what I can in terms of habitat improvement for a long while, I admit feeling a little hypocritical that I have pushed for more conservative regulations largely out of nesting/reproductive concerns, but haven't done much in terms of predator control. So, I ordered a few dog proof traps and some snares for coyotes. I'm still watching youtube videos on the snaring, but I set out coon traps yesterday evening. Checked them this morning, and there'll be two fewer nest raiders prowling tonight.
IMG_6123.jpeg

I like to think my woodsmanship skills are respectable, but, other than catching rabbits in gum traps with my dad as a kid, I'm a total novice when it comes to trapping. But, after one day's effort, coons seem pretty easy to catch. One marshmallow in the bottom under the trigger, a little dog food in the trap with some scattered on the trail around it, topped off with pinch of tuna. And the traps aren't expensive or complicated. Coons are the worst nest predators by far, so I would encourage everyone get a few dog proof traps and help the turkeys when and where you can. Nests are on the ground now, so no time like the present.

Carlos

Right, way to go.
They don't just go after ground nesting birds, they also raid any nests they can reach, in trees and bird-boxes.

Bgoodman30

Nice work. I have had more luck with havehearts than DP but I am going to try and switch up my methods.

Latest posts