Few more points on antler genetics

DeerCamp

Ditchkoff advises that one chromosome typically weighs more, and is longer and larger than the other. If the larger chromosome that codes for antler traits belongs to the mother, at conception, her son will inherit more antler coding material from her than the father.

"There's an inability to judge a doe's genetic potential for large antlers in the wild, and there's no way to control breeding, so it's insensible to assume a buck's antler traits only come from the sire."

Further, in instances when the antler coding material that resides on larger chromosome produces less desirable antler qualities, this doesn't mean that a buck's DNA doesn't harbor genes that will produce a more favorable outcome in his future offspring. Since we can't regulate or determine breeding probabilities in wild deer, it's impossible to predict the interaction-based product of both parent's DNA.

Summary:

• A bucks genetics for antlers come just as much, and in some cases more, from the doe
  • We can't judge a doe's antler potential in the wild
  • Just because a buck didn't express genes for huge antlers, doesn't mean he won't pass good ones on *This one is really interesting*
  • Intensive studies that have tried to cull bucks scientifically have failed
My grandpa was 5'4 and my dad is 5'6 - I'm 5'11 and my brother is 6'0 - glad none of y'all shot my pops.

Latest posts