F&WC Season Setting (4/18 & 4/19)

Southern Sportsman

The meeting was today. The commission did not go with the TWRA proposals.

It looks like for '25-'26:

-Youth season 1st Saturday in April; Season open the following Saturday

- 2 MALE turkeys per season, only one jake

- all hens are FINALLY protected, even the bearded ones

Hat tip to the commission from me.
Turkey discussion starts at 02:56.

Last edited:

deerfever

What were the twra proposals?
Opening day would be the Saturday closest to April 7 and certain counties would be 3 bird limit. Total limit could never exceed 3 birds in any combination. Other counties had a two bird limit.

Last edited:

Southern Sportsman

What were the twra proposals?
The powerpoint slide they show at 2:56:45 is a summary of what the agency proposed. Those proposals would have put the juvy hunt on 3/29 next year and 3/28 in 2026; regular season 4/5 and 4/4 respectively, and a 3 bird limit, which could be any combination of gobblers, jakes, or bearded hens.

I've criticized the commission plenty in the past, but, credit where credit is due. They made the resource first priority and amended the proposals accordingly. I applaud them.

Southern Sportsman

This is normally a two day meeting. Day one is where they set their proposals. Day two is when they are officially voted on.

Proposals are subject to being amended. Hopefully these will go as proposed.
Yes, they will technically vote today to approve the full proclamation, as amended. But the entire commission approved these amendments to the proposed turkey regulations yesterday, so the final vote today should be a formality. The second day is usually just final approval and back patting.

Last edited:

scn

Yes, they will technically vote today to approve the full proclamation, as amended. But the entire commission approved these amendments to the proposed turkey regulations yesterday, so the final vote today should be a formality. The second day us usually just final approval and back patting.
Usually being the key word.

I have seen some situations where it was obvious deals had been made over dinner the night before that resulted in major amendments. I really hope it goes through as proposed!

Latest posts