Smokeless Electrical Tape Over Muzzle for Waterproofing?

Smokeless

ratsnakeboogy

I've shot through electrical, blue and green painters tape, finger cots, and latex glove fingers. Never had any effect on bullet flight. I mostly use the green "frog" painter's tape now.

ewc

Wes-

I use electrical tape on all my guns, including my mz. Never an issue. Make sure you only use blue electrical tape though. :grin:

bigtex

I've used electrical tape before, but now just use a finger off of a latex glove. Neither one will affect the bullet. Heck, it'll be gone before the bullet gets to it.

Brisco Darlin

i don't shoot smokeless but i have shot through electrical tape in my traditionals. How does moisture affect smokeless powder in the modern mz? I've never had an issue with pyrodex or goex. I actually shot a deer during a monsoon type rain and the charge went off fine.

TheLBLman

ewc said:
Wes-

I use electrical tape on all my guns, including my mz. Never an issue. Make sure you only use blue electrical tape though. :grin:
I'll be sure to only use "blue"! :D
I'm convinced the tape makes little change in POI at closer ranges.

But, seriously, do you believe there is ANY change in POI, say at 150 yards? And does it matter whether you use thinner or thicker tape, criss-cross it (2 pieces), etc.?

I'm asking this in the context of realizing the charge should blow off the tape before the bullet gets there, but seems plausible that SOMETIMES the bullet could still hit the tape a few yards out, causing an occasional shift in POI (think of shooting at a deer 150 yards away, but your bullet hits a cattail about 5 yards beyond the muzzle).

And knowing how such minute changes in any component effect rifle accuracy, it would seem a rifle sighted in without tape could not have the same POI when shot with tape. Has anyone extensively tested (say at 150 yards or farther) the POI for a rifle sighted in without tape vs. using tape later?

I know, I'm probably over-thinking this.

ewc

I killed a button buck (thought it was a doe) with my electrical taped .50 Savage at 326 yards a few years back. Hit right where I aimed. Next morning I killed two does at 245 and 225. The shot at 245 had tape, I reloaded and killed the next one at 225 (no tape). I then got stupid and sold that gun to DA.

Built my .40 and have killed 15 or so with it and tape, longest shot may have been 130-150 yards. No adverse effect with the tape.

I use three pieces of tape. Two in a plus shape and one going around the barrel connecting all three. On my stock, I stick three more pieces to replace after a shot.

Deer Assassin

ewc said:
I killed a button buck (thought it was a doe) with my electrical taped .50 Savage at 326 yards a few years back. Hit right where I aimed. Next morning I killed two does at 245 and 225. The shot at 245 had tape, I reloaded and killed the next one at 225 (no tape). I then got stupid and sold that gun to DA.

Built my .40 and have killed 15 or so with it and tape, longest shot may have been 130-150 yards. No adverse effect with the tape.

I use three pieces of tape. Two in a plus shape and one going around the barrel connecting all three. On my stock, I stick three more pieces to replace after a shot.

then i got stupid and sold it as well

TheLBLman

Sound like the voice of experience! :)
Really appreciate.

ewc said:
No adverse effect with the tape.

Just standard electrical tape, or do you recommend any particular electrical tape over another?

As a final thought, maybe I'll get stupid and buy that gun what keeps changing hands! :D

fairchaser

I am fairly certain the pressure from the blast will blow the tape off before the bullet ever touches the tape. So it doesn't matter what type of tape or texture it is as long as its water resistent. Ive never seen Jim Shockey that he didn't have black electrical tape on his muzzleloader. That should be the final word. :)

KPH

I have never had to test it and hope I never do. I would think it would take a lot of water to get past the bullet in the type of gun we are talking about, I would almost think you would have to fill the barrel full.

ratsnakeboogy

KPH said:
I have never had to test it and hope I never do. I would think it would take a lot of water to get past the bullet in the type of gun we are talking about, I would almost think you would have to fill the barrel full.

Water can easily get past the bullet via the grooves in the rifling. Even full formed bullets are not air tight in most cases. Sabots and land riders easily let water around them.

Latest posts