Food Plots Drilling grass seed question

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
This is not for a food plot, but I knew you guys would know the answer. We just did some grading work where we are building our new church sanctuary, and it needs to be seeded. I was thinking I would just drill the seed instead of broadcasting. If I do it this way do I need to still spread straw over it? And where can I rent a grass seeder?

Jcalder

You'll want the dirt covered for erosion control. If you have any slope, use the matting. If you can find it, use the biodegradable kind instead of the standard stuff they sell. Any rental place should have a seed planter. It's a slot of walking but worth it. When planting grass, just pretend someone else is buying the seed, and put out extra. Go over yard one way and then go over the other way. If you have seed left over, you might broadcast that. Pray for rain, not a drencher, but a slow rain.

megalomaniac

I wouldn't drill freshly disturbed dirt, I'd broadcast seed and either mulch with straw or the mat as suggested by Jcalder.

The drill is nice for ground not susceptible to erosion, esp level ground or ground you have sprayed that has residual roots holding the soil in place to prevent erosion.

Jcalder

I wouldn't drill freshly disturbed dirt, I'd broadcast seed and either mulch with straw or the mat as suggested by Jcalder.

The drill is nice for ground not susceptible to erosion, esp level ground or ground you have sprayed that has residual roots holding the soil in place to prevent erosion.
Would all depend on compaction. If it's loose, broadcast and cover. But if it's compacted the roots will struggle to get started.

Latest posts