Dove Field info

MickThompson

You have to basically farm as if you were growing a crop/ plant a food plot. This means planting in accordance with seeding dates and rates. Deviating from these is considered baiting.

This late in the game, you can hunt a top sown wheat cover crop/ food plot over a prepared seedbed. You must evenly spread the seed and follow UT extension recommended seeding rates- up to 150 lbs/acre. You can only seed a field once- you can't disk it under when it germinates and plant again, since it's not a bona fide agricultural practice to turn under a crop when it germinates.

Sowing a warm season crop like millet or sunflowers would be a great way to get a ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rukiddin

I know a lot of farmers and been around it my whole life. I don't really consider planting wheat in August a "bona fide agriculture practice"...........but I don't make the rules!!!!!

MickThompson

rukiddin":szuiju4z said:
I know a lot of farmers and been around it my whole life. I don't really consider planting wheat in August a "bona fide agriculture practice"...........but I don't make the rules!!!!!

UT says you can start August 15. I guess that could be for fall grazing.

shane37110

Google "winter wheat", it's a thing. Plant in August or September, it sprouts and provides ground cover through the winter. Then it matures and you harvest it in time to plant spring wheat.

rukiddin

shane37110":1kwsom9p said:
Google "winter wheat", it's a thing. Plant in August or September, it sprouts and provides ground cover through the winter. Then it matures and you harvest it in time to plant spring wheat.

Yeah, I know all about winter wheat. That's why I say it's not normal to plant in August. Even guys who pick their corn in July/August won't drill their wheat this time of year. At least that's the way it is in areas of TN and N.C. where there's bona fide agriculture goIng on. Hahaha

rukiddin

MickThompson":2pc8htgx said:
rukiddin":2pc8htgx said:

True. It could be for a myriad of things beneficial to grazing, soil conservation or harvest but I'd be willing to bet that 99% of the wheat that is "top sowed" in mid/late August is done for nothing but shooting doves over it. I have no problems with it, I've done it myself and reaped the rewards of those delicious little dove bosoms from it. Just saying the wording is so off base by calling it a "normal agricultural practice".

Tennrock

What about Fall food plots? This would not fall under normal "Agricultural" practices since it will not be harvested. Most of the fall food plot mixes contain wheat & oats and fall under the "Food Plot" regulation that states:

Lands planted as wildlife food plots, provided the seed is planted in a manner consistent with Cooperative State Research, Education, and Extension Service recommendations for the planting of wildlife food plots. In states without Cooperative Extension Service recommendations for the planting of food plots, the seed must be planted in accordance with Extension Service guidelines for producing a crop.

rukiddin":3ublya41 said:
MickThompson":3ublya41 said:
rukiddin":3ublya41 said:

True. It could be for a myriad of things beneficial to grazing, soil conservation or harvest but I'd be willing to bet that 99% of the wheat that is "top sowed" in mid/late August is done for nothing but shooting doves over it. I have no problems with it, I've done it myself and reaped the rewards of those delicious little dove bosoms from it. Just saying the wording is so off base by calling it a "normal agricultural practice".