Deer Numbers

kentuckylakebuck1

Ask again and again and again!! I pray someone will give you a straight answer and not just say "not many" !! this is the biggest secret within the TWRA!!

mike243

#1 how many deer are in the state total not the reported killed.
#2 what difference would it make if you had the data? #3 do you have permission to hunt the farmers property's that these deer come off of?
As long as the farmers followed the restrictions to take the deer it's not the general public's business imo. Twra evidently doesn't require they keep records and the harvest limits are not set using them.

ChadB

To get a permit you are supposed to keep numbers, if they are going by how many deer killed by hunters it's not an accurate observation if you are not including all the deer killed. Also the deer are the property of the state and not the land owner. My point it would be nice to know how many deer are really being killed by hunters or were there a bunch of land owners that got a few deprivation permits and wiped a large chunk of the deer heard out in your area. It shouldn't be a secret. Not trying start something, it just would be nice to know instead of having to guess.

DaveTN

I wonder why they don't want to say? If that's the same as a depredation permit, it should only take 15 seconds for someone at TWRA to say how many of those permits were issued. Do the people that get permits have to keep TWRA informed of how many they kill? Do they still have to leave them to rot?

kentuckylakebuck1

I wonder why they don't want to say? If that's the same as a depredation permit, it should only take 15 seconds for someone at TWRA to say how many of those permits were issued. Do the people that get permits have to keep TWRA informed of how many they kill? Do they still have to leave them to rot?
No they do not have to report anything and yes they have to leave them to rot! SICKENING!

BSK

#1 how many deer are in the state total not the reported killed.
Very tough question to answer. The TWRA no longer does sample censuses, so we really have no idea.

#2 what difference would it make if you had the data?
To me, it would make a great deal of difference. We hunters fund the TWRA and they need to be transparent about depredation permits and farmer kill numbers.

As long as the farmers followed the restrictions to take the deer it's not the general public's business imo.
Once again, we hunters fund the Agency so it is very much our business! They answer to us, not the other way around.

kentuckylakebuck1

Very tough question to answer. The TWRA no longer does sample censuses, so we really have no idea.

To me, it would make a great deal of difference. We hunters fund the TWRA and they need to be transparent about depredation permits and farmer kill numbers.

Once again, we hunters fund the Agency so it is very much our business! They answer to us, not the other way around.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS! no one could have said it better!!!

Bone_Chaser

I see this topic a lot on here. Are things a lot different in west Tennessee? I've lived all over Kentucky and East Tennessee and only knew of one location depredation from farmers was of any impact?

I could see how specific areas could be greatly impacted and therefor should be published but I would think as a whole hunters and vehicle collisions kill 1000 to 1?

kentuckylakebuck1

I see this topic a lot on here. Are things a lot different in west Tennessee? I've lived all over Kentucky and East Tennessee and only knew of one location depredation from farmers was of any impact?

I could see how specific areas could be greatly impacted and therefor should be published but I would think as a whole hunters and vehicle collisions kill 1000 to 1?
anytime you want to see some graphs let me know and I can text you some pics and explanations, but I feel like some are very skewed!

mike243

So make twra pay for the lost crops to the farmers and stop the permits , want numbers have trwa buy the property then they can lease it out or raise the price of license to cover it, answers cost $$ lol if you can't hunt the property you have no business knowing anything about it imo, I don't believe I have ever read that numbers killed were supposed to be recorded.

mike243

I thought almost everybody here didn't want twra on their property? so now they are supposed to share the info they take from each property owner and share it with everybody? The federal government supposedly works for us and how much info are they sharing about anything?.

killingtime 41

I thought almost everybody here didn't want twra on their property? so now they are supposed to share the info they take from each property owner and share it with everybody? The federal government supposedly works for us and how much info are they sharing about anything?.
We find the TWRA end of the story. They exist only because we do. They get no money from the state government or the general fund. We as Tennesseans kept it that way. In hopes our freedom of hunting and fishing wouldn't be trampled on by some commie governor. If you want the TWRA to act like the federal government then don't ask any questions and let them blindly give you information. Like we all have done to get the federal we have today.

Biggun4214

The only mechanism that TWRA has to get those numbers would be what the landowner reported. It's the same with roadkill deer. There's no way to get numbers that are close to being accurate. Even with hunter killed deer the numbers are far from accurate.
The only true numbers would be the number of permits issued and the number of deer per permit.

Knothead

The only mechanism that TWRA has to get those numbers would be what the landowner reported.
……….
To my knowledge, the landowner is not required to keep a tally nor report those numbers. And he wouldn't know the numbers unless the farmer provided that info. And then, did the farmer report accurate info?

The only true numbers would be the number of permits issued and the number of deer per permit.
The only TRUE numbers would be the number of permits issued. Period.
If they are not required to provide the
number of deer the killed, then the number of deer per permit is not even a part of the equation.
Thus, it's easy to see why TWRA won't provide the info.

I also think it's detestable that the deer are shot and left for buzzards and other animals to eat.

Biggun4214

To my knowledge, the landowner is not required to keep a tally nor report those numbers. And he wouldn't know the numbers unless the farmer provided that info. And then, did the farmer report accurate info?

The only TRUE numbers would be the number of permits issued. Period.
If they are not required to provide the
number of deer the killed, then the number of deer per permit is not even a part of the equation.
Thus, it's easy to see why TWRA won't provide the info.

I also think it's detestable that the deer are shot and left for buzzards and other animals to eat.
What few permits I issued had a set number of deer allowed by the permit.
To my knowledge I only had 1 landowner that actually killed deer.
I actually had a request for a permit because deer were eating the grass in his yard. I asked him if he mowed his grass. When he said yes, I told him the deer were just helping out.

BSK

The TWRA requires hunters who fund them to keep very detailed kill records, to the point you cannot move harvested deer until they are reported. I expect the agency to do the same with anyone they gave permission (permit) to kill deer.

I'm not asking for individual landowner data. I want to see the number of permits they issued (by county) and the number of deer killed under these permits. If they are not keeping this data and not releasing it, that is a dereliction of duty. It is their JOB to monitor legal deer kills, and because they are a regulatory agency, they need to be transparent with those they regulate and those who fund them.

Latest posts