Deer Attacking 3D Targets??

UTGrad

I'm moving to a new house and we have deer in the woods behind the house. I have a Rinehart Broadhead Buck I plan on keeping back there with a Target Tarp to protect it.

I've heard bucks will attack a 3D target and possibly even destroy it. Anyone heard of this? Thirdhandman on AT suggests removing the target's antlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNDeerGuy

I've had it happen several times. I was going to take the antlers off the last time it happened, but seeing as how the head where the antlers would go got mangled the problem cured itself.

UTGrad

TNDeerGuy":337090m6 said:
I've had it happen several times. I was going to take the antlers off the last time it happened, but seeing as how the head where the antlers would go got mangled the problem cured itself.

Lol WOW!!

This is a variable I had not considered. As you know a Rinehart Broadhead Buck is not exactly cheap. Wonder if I should take it out and put it up each time. I can leave the Rhinoblock out.

UTGrad

Andy I'm going to hijack my own thread but do you know a compound that can repair foam found in 3D targets? My arrows have exited low on one side and its chewing up a spot on my Rinehart I don't want to get too damaged.

TNDeerGuy

I'm reporting you for hijacking threads!!!! BAN coming!!!!!!! LOL

Just take the horns off and it'll be fine. I haven't had a problem in two years, since the last incident, and I have bucks all over my place and they haven't paid any of my targets any attention.

As far as repair foam I use this stuff and it's really good! http://3-dcountry.com/3dweb/

lazyhubby70

Mine has no horns and on a few occasions I've come home to does standing around it....

....first time it happened I thought someone had moved my target...

burninpowder

We have yet to have our targets attacked at out tournament. We have a very high deer density, but we are not shooting during peak times.

eddie c

I helped set up the walk thru range at Lake Graham/Region 1 office several years ago. the one buck target that was set up near the end of the range would get attacked during the fall months until they took the antlers off and left them off. then it wasn't bothered any more.

Carnage

My Glendel has been attacked twice...first time the head fell off (gave me a chuckle thinking of the other deer freaking out) last time it was demolished...legs boken off, body shredded, head about 40 yds away....will try that no antler idea on the next one!

Mike Belt

I've had to replace 2 of my 3D targets and have another one on the verge of needing replaced...all because bucks have destroyed them in my back yard. At times it gets to be like a game. I get up in the morning and walk out on the back porch to have a look. Only 2 out of the 3 attacked last night. I've yet to have one attacked during daylight. I could take the antlers off but I sort of think it's neat. I sometimes use a deke while hunting also but haven't had it attacked yet. I've had bucks advance it all bristled up and side stepping but no out and out attacks yet. Still waiting to see that.

catman529

Aint had the want to buy a 3d target yet. Rinehart is top of the line aren't they? Sounds like you got a good place. Is there a chance you can poke a hole in one of the deer that pass thru your yard, or is it one of those places that would only cause trouble?

UTGrad

catman529":37q057jd said:
Aint had the want to buy a 3d target yet. Rinehart is top of the line aren't they? Sounds like you got a good place. Is there a chance you can poke a hole in one of the deer that pass thru your yard, or is it one of those places that would only cause trouble?

Definitely something that would cause trouble.

Rinehart are excellent 3D targets. I love shooting my 3D target. Simulates the real thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headhunter

best target on the planet is the BLOB. Rhinehart uses basically the same material, and are great targets, just a MUCH smaller target for the same or more money.

Latest posts