Conibears?

Southern Sportsman

I am completely new to trapping, so I'm still learning my way around some of the terminology.

IMG_6127.jpeg

IMG_6128.jpeg

My question: Are conibear traps legal for coons and such? In other words, are conibears "steel square instant kill traps," which are legal with an exterior jaw of 16", or is that something else?

I know 110 body grip traps referenced in #10 are conibears, but that seems to be specific to water sets.

Thanks!

Shanman

Stick to the dog proofs IMHO, cheaper and easier to handle. Coni's have to be 12" inside an enclosure/hole on dry land, thus you have to build boxes to set the trap in, 12" back from the entrance. Boxes are awkward and heavy, plus take up storage space. Dog proofs are the way to go for coon. 😉

tellico4x4

Got a friend in Ark that slayed the bobcats this year with boxes & conibears. His cousin is a duck guide & he used the carcasses after they had breasted them. Last time I talked to him in Feb he was 27-28 cats.

MickThompson

The big conibears are designed to crush the neck and instantly kill beavers and otter- think rat trap for a 60# rat. Not really something you want laying around where pets or people might accidentally get into them. They have broken legs and ankles in grown men.

Remember, as a trapper you are liable for whatever you catch, so set carefully.

Dog proofs, on the other hand, are purpose-built for catching raccoons. Use the right tool for the job.

Southern Sportsman

I'm definitely going to keep the DPs in action, but thought about adding some 160 or 220 conibears for skunks, possums, etc. Not immediately. But I know myself. As much as I enjoyed catching my first two coons this week, this probably isn't something I'm going to quit doing. Just trying to figure out the next set type I want to learn.

Shanman

Just starting out you will need to get familiar with all the available equipment, it's not cheap and better to buy once. Go to one of the trapping supply warehouse sites and study the equipment. Using a 220 on coons is like squirrel hunting with a 30-30, as mentioned…..right tool for the right job. Beware, it's ADDICTIVE! 😉

Southern Sportsman

Sorry SS, had 280 stuck in my head when I punched in the above. My bad. 🙄
Haha. No need to apologize. I'll take all the help I can get. And if conibears aren't legal for dry land sets in the open, the size distinction doesn't matter much anyway.

I love running these DPs. I was mainly looking into conibears because I wouldn't have to check them quite as often. There are a couple farms where I would love to thin the nest predators, but they are a little farther from home. I have three little kids, all in baseball/softball/t-ball, and a wife who works, so time availability is my primary limiting factor.

Latest posts