Cicadas...... the silver lining

Huntaholic

They havent got here quite yet but Im sure its just a matter of days before they start making things unbearable with the noise. Im hoping the silver lining is that the turkey poults IF WE HAVE ANY, will have a bountiful feast on them. A young turkeys diet is well over 90% insects while an adult bird is 90% vegative material. Without insects, a poult doesnt hardly have a chance at survival.

Doecrusher

Don't know about the poults but the squirrels been wearing them out around here with the birds...
IMG_20240510_175457263.jpg
Here's a pic from my boat trailer today...

th88

I would also think it positively affects poult survival by giving some predators something else to eat.
That is likely the biggest impact. Strong correlation between cicadas and good hatches among various states in the past decade when large emergences have happened.

Bone Collector

Yeah hopefully the floods didn't wipe out all the nests and we have some poults that can benefit.

They're here in Murfreesboro. I know the last time they had a big hatch like this I ended up killing a turkey the following weekend. I had seen the cicadas in an area thick. Someone mentioned turkeys like to eat them, so I went on the next chance I got and the turkeys were there. Open the feed sac and it was packed full of nothing but cicadas.

Cody91

They havent got here quite yet but Im sure its just a matter of days before they start making things unbearable with the noise. Im hoping the silver lining is that the turkey poults IF WE HAVE ANY, will have a bountiful feast on them. A young turkeys diet is well over 90% insects while an adult bird is 90% vegative material. Without insects, a poult doesnt hardly have a chance at survival.
My brother and I are camping out for the last day of our season. As soon as we started to set camp, we noticed the cicadas not only singing but emerging in front of us. This was Sunday morning, they're in full swing here. I've never seen a freshly hatched cicada before, these things are crazy.
Wish us luck, if either of us get a gobbler we will be over the moon.

Bgoodman30

Oh yeah decent numbers in Mid TN. Not as many as I remember in the past. Saw a bunch of birds standing around an oak tree looking up the other day.

Latest posts