Bullet and powder selection

Bone Collector

Instead of just making another post at the bottom of my other thread, I thought it may be easier to start a new one. After reading through the comments on that old thread, I kind of narrowed it down to wanting to make this as simple as possible out the gate for myself, making the leap from your traditional in-line muzzleloader to the smokeless muzzleloader.

I think I'm gonna go with some of the bullets that Kyle Pittman makes and I've narrowed it down to the 225, 228, and 250 AccuMax bullets that he makes. You can buy sabot with them and from talking to him, he is telling me you basically just have to put the powder in like you would a normal muzzleloader and then load your bullet no resizing necessary.

My question is what size should I shoot? Somebody suggested the 225, he actually suggested a 228, but I'm wondering if both of those bullets are a little light for Deer hunting. The reason I feel that way is inline ML bullets are bigger bullets (250+). With the gun I have I Would just need to get the powder correct for the 250 gr., as you can't shoot the minimum powder load with that bullet according to his website chart.

So what I need to know is what bullet size? Would the 228 he suggested be a good option? Also what powder? I'm thinking 4198 as that's what Hankins suggests, but I know there are other options.

Bone Collector

Also wanted to just say thanks for everybody who is reached out and tried to help me with this. I do have some of your phone numbers. We've got a jam-packed summer through early July so I'll try and work on getting some of the stuff together in between but Sometime after I get done with all that stuff I'll probably start texting and working more personally with some of the people that offered help so I can get sighted in and get ready for season .

jman 125

Also wanted to just say thanks for everybody who is reached out and tried to help me with this. I do have some of your phone numbers. We've got a jam-packed summer through early July so I'll try and work on getting some of the stuff together in between but Sometime after I get done with all that stuff I'll probably start texting and working more personally with some of the people that offered help so I can get sighted in and get ready for season .
Bone
I currently shoot a 300 gr bullet and i think 58.3 gr of 4198 with excellent results.
I opted to not shoot the sabots simply because of fouling so thats why i size.
If Kyle suggested the 228 i would definitely listen to him he knows his bullets. That said i am strongly thinking of dropping to a 250 or 275 grain fury just to test and see if they will shoot better than what i currently am getting with the 300.
If i can help please give me a call or text. You have my number.

jlanecr500

The 228gr is a harder core version of the 225gr. Without knowing barrel length to dial a load in, I'd advise 60gr of H or imr4198. imr is a little hotter. Be advised that once a load is dialed in with the 225, a 250gr bullet with the same charge will raise pressure and could cause sabot failure. Typically, when bullet weight increases, an small increase in charge is required to stay on the same node. Otherwise, the charge must be reduced to obtain the next lower node. Warm weather is upon us so load development with a sabot will be tricky.

Bone Collector

The 228gr is a harder core version of the 225gr. Without knowing barrel length to dial a load in, I'd advise 60gr of H or imr4198. imr is a little hotter. Be advised that once a load is dialed in with the 225, a 250gr bullet with the same charge will raise pressure and could cause sabot failure. Typically, when bullet weight increases, a small increase in charge is required to stay on the same node. Otherwise, the charge must be reduced to obtain the next lower node. Warm weather is upon us so load development with a sabot will be tricky.
That's what he told me about the harder core. I think that's why he recommended it over the 225.

I'm shooting a CVA scout without the muzzle break. 1:20 twist. The barrel is 25" long. I think Hankins said 60gr of 4198 was the max, but it may be 65gr.

Joe2Kool

I don't know anything about the bullets you mention, but your ML will tell you which one to use. I still use Triple 7 pellets in mine. It is a tack driver with 300 grain bullets, but with 240, 260, and 180s, it struggles to make a 6" group. I'm sure it is related to twist, but just never researched it once I found a deer killing combo. Hopefully, Kyle's recommendations have included twist, velocity, and all those other good things. :)

Bone Collector

I don't know anything about the bullets you mention, but your ML will tell you which one to use. I still use Triple 7 pellets in mine. It is a tack driver with 300 grain bullets, but with 240, 260, and 180s, it struggles to make a 6" group. I'm sure it is related to twist, but just never researched it once I found a deer killing combo. Hopefully, Kyle's recommendations have included twist, velocity, and all those other good things. :)
You're using pellets in a smokeless conversion?

Latest posts