bow targets

Mike Belt

There may be better but I've always shot Morrel (sp) bags and had a long lasting life out of them. I also use 3D targets which I think aids in shooting at live animals. My broadheads and field points fly the same so I only use field points on my targets which increases their life expectancy.

Crow Terminator

I have owned and shot up a bunch of targets over the years. I have personally had the best luck out of Rinehart targets, both their 3D targets and the smaller cube shaped ones. The best one I have bought has been the RhinoBlock with replacement insert. I have owned this target since 2013 and shot God only knows how many arrows into the thing and it is just now starting to show a little sign of wear on it. It sits outside in the elements all the time. The only sign of wear is that the paint has faded a little on it. Otherwise, I can stack arrow after arrow in the same dot and it's not even close to having a pass through yet. If I do, there is always the replaceable insert. By far, the best money I have spent on an archery target. My one complaint is that I wish they made it in more of a "range" size target.

Blobs are okay for what they are. I think we've agreed to disagree on this subject a few times. All I will say is that they serve their purpose. I happened to buy a brand new big one back in around Feb/March of this year and I am already shooting through it in places, and I only target shoot so no broadheads have been shot into it. I put those 1" orange rifle target stickers on mine to keep from shooting the same places. If the target is dry, it still stops arrows pretty good. If it is wet from the rain, it will blow through it no matter where I shoot it if it is inside of 40 yards. I am not shooting a fast bow or heavy arrow either...266 fps, 353 grain arrow. I primarily use it for long range shooting stuff and or a backstop now.

WRbowhunter

That's good to know about the blob targets. Anyone else have those sort of issues. Was thinking of getting 4 for a public range as I thought they would hold up better than a bag target. right now the bag targets I am getting are lasting about 9 months but they get used a good bit and pretty sure on a few occasions folks are using broadheads even though they are not suppose to.

Headhunter

Crow terminator, I have no clue where you got your blob targets. There are "BAD" blobs sold.

The blob targets I get come with a guarantee. Also, what is funny, when buying a rhineheart target, you are just paying more money for a much smaller target that is made out of the same material a blob is made out of.

have personally sold several hundred over the last several years or so. Only 2 people have purchased a replacement blob and they had no problem buying another one, and said the exact same thing, best target on the planet. I don't care where you get a blob, I actually recommend the website because it is a pain for me to get them now. The rest of the people I have sold targets to are still shooting them and say they are no where close to being done with them.

Crow Terminator

Here we go again.

Blob targets are not manufactured for an archery target. They are purge waste material from the carpet mills. They come in all different kind of materials. Some are soft. Some are dense. All are compacted purge material. Nothing more. That's why they are all in a square. The purge bins are that way. The material for the carpet comes out in molten form and just takes to the bin shape. One of the mill workers was a archer and said "I bet these would stop an arrow great" and thus is how they started being used as a target. The worker started getting them and selling them at local shoots some time back in the 1980s-1990s. We used to be able to get them for around $25 but now they are $50 for the big "irregular shaped" ones.

These days, there are two guys that have a contract with the carpet mills for them. They marketed the Blob target name. They get them for basically nothing and then sell them for some big profits. That's why you probably have trouble getting the irregular shaped big ones...they come to this area early in the season at the local shoots first, and offer them there and once they are gone, they are gone til they make another run for them at the carpet mills. When I bought mine, they had a whole big size trailer full of them, any size you wanted, for $50 each. I like the big size ones that weigh close to 200 lbs. Those don't have a warranty on them; you have to go by feel of them to find the dense ones. The softer they are, the more easily shot out they are. The smaller target is the one they offer the "guarantee" with. It is the most dense but not as big as the irregular shaped blob. Blobs are more of a foam/grit like material, depending on which one you get. Rineharts are more rubbery feeling than the Blobs. I knew Mr. Rinehart and met him a couple times back in early 2000; I took a bowhunter education class with him. I don't think they are the same material at all; they have a totally different texture to them.

On average I shoot year round, a minimum of 30 arrows a day, whether I feel like it or not. I try to at least do 30 for form. If I am prepping for a big shoot, it will be more. The target I bought back in Feb/March, I posted pics of it here when I first got it in another discussion about the Blob targets. I also had a picture of them in the back of the trailer I spoke of. They were on Photobucket and I don't have access to them but I should still have the pics on a flash drive some place. I can do you a before and now shot of my target to show what about 4 months of shooting looks like on one of them. For $50 I'm not going to complain about it but they by far, aren't the best thing since sliced bread.

Headhunter

Thank you for the education Crow Terminator. Not sure it is any different than anything I said.

There are a FEW people who do not like blobs, but out of all the targets I have sold and delivered, and many I sold the targets to were very skeptical before they got one, every single person has said it is, by far, the BEST archery target they have ever seen. I have not had one complaint, not one. Well some do not like the fact that they are heavy, but as far as an archery target goes, there is nothing better and the Rhineheart may not be the EXACT same thing, but there is very little difference except the rhineheart cost a lot more and is much smaller and weights a LOT less. Rhineheart makes a great target, if I couldn't get the blob, it is what I would shoot. I cannot even begin to count the number of people I have met who have been shooting the blob for 10 years of more.

For comparison:
the rhinoblock is a 16" target and weighs 20 lbs and cost anywhere from $149 to $169 plus tax and/or shipping.

A 24" blob weighs 100 lbs and you get one for about $135.

No comparison in my mind.

I am not advertising to sale them, I could care less if I ever sold another one, but as far as an archery target goes, there is nothing better. Especially if you only shoot broadheads like me.

Crow Terminator

On a side note I can tell you a few targets to stay totally away from.

#1 is that GlenDel Buck target. The one with the 4 sided cube insert. That's probably the biggest piece of trash target I have ever bought.

#2 are the R&W 3D targets. I got a tip on Archery Talk that they were decent targets for the money and ordered one of their deer ones. When it came I was highly impressed with how it looked...probably the most realistic 3D deer target I have seen. But it's something about how they make the core of their target. It is actually two layers of material inside the core and the material is super hard. Even keeping it out in the sun doesn't help it soften up much. Arrows are SUPER tough to remove and to make it even worse, they are notorious for stealing your tips/points. I quit shooting the one I have because of that. When I mentioned it on ArcheryTalk, people were like "oh yeah that's probably the downside of those targets". I promptly threw it off into the woods behind my other targets.

#3 would be the Delta McKenzie "Kill Zone" series. These are the ones that are just the mid section of the targets with the rope for carrying. I made the mistake of buying two of them at the same time. One is a deer mid section and the other is a bear. I quickly learned that you have to have them braced against another target to keep them from moving when arrows hit them. And they don't last long of being shot either. I had the 12 rings shot out of mine within 2 months and that was with trying to take it easy on them...shooting just a couple arrows a day into them. The foam actually came out of them in big chunks when I would pull my arrows.

I never have liked the Block targets either.

My personal preferences are as follows:

For 3D targets my #1 spot is Rinehart. Rinehart stuff is always expensive but hey, it lasts longer than any of the others.

For block/cube style targets it is "Blobs". I got my Rhino Block for free from a bow shop that closed down. It was used...he used it in the shop for people to try bows out with. I have no idea how many arrows it had put in it before I got it and I've had it 3 or 4 years myself. It still has a lot of life in it. I probably wouldn't have bought one before hand but now I will if/when I ever shoot it out. The Blobs I am often critical of. That being because a consumer has to be careful when selecting them. There are many kinds of them and densities of foam. I would never buy one without seeing it or feeling of it first. Some of them do last a long time. I have shot out 4 of them since 2000, so that's still pretty good once you think about it. 4 targets in nearly 20 years. Even when they are shot out, they still make good back stops for your other targets when long range shooting. I get mine early in the season when the guys still have them. For $50 they can't be beat. The hardest part is indeed moving them. Especially if they are water logged.

I think all the bag targets are pretty much the same. They are the same outside material and usually stuffed with something like a bed sheet comforter or something similar. Third Hand Archery makes a bag shell that they call the "Rag Bag" that you fill yourself. They recommend using old clothing and that works good. I found it easier to just go to Wally World and get a cheap twin or full size comforter and stuff in it.

TNDeerGuy

I've shot everything over the years: bags, D/M 3D targets, Rinehart targets, Glendel targets, ragbags, Blobs etc... and I believe they each have their purpose and use.

For almost 30 years I've been shooting blobs, but will likely not be buying another one (I remember when you could drive down to Mohawk or Shaw carpet Mills and skip the guy on the dock a $10 and get a 4'X6' that was 24"thick and weighed 300lbs at least). They are great targets, but they do have their downside and someone has come up with a better mouse trap--they are heavy, they will wear your carbon arrows thin (which will eventually lead to breaks) if you only shoot the blob.

I do not like "The Block" targets, they are cheap made and their longevity is very short for the cost of the product, but they are easily portable.

I shoot bag targets on my home range as well, but honestly the only bag targets I like is the Morrell Range Bag and the best way to get them is on a Sunday afternoon when the ASA is packing up--you can get a good one for $40ish if you're patient and look thru the pile. Otherwise, you'll pay $100+ or so for a new one online. If I couldn't get them at the ASA shoots, then I likely would just shoot my 3D D/M's and my BroadForce targets.

My preferred 3D target is Rinehart because of their foam density, D/M is really sucking in this department right now, but the ASA shoots D/M so that's what I shoot, but if I didn't shoot competitively or shot IBO, then I would gladly shoot Rinehart targets.

My preferred overall combo target is a relatively new one that is gaining traction and the owner of the company is a fellow Tennessean (from my hometown of Soddy-Daisy)--his company is BroadForce targets. https://broadforcetargets.com/
David is one of the chemists down in Dalton for one of the big carpet Mills and he has proprietary knowledge of the composition of the Blob and has improved it. Not only does it weigh fractions of what the blob weighs (my 7 and 5 year old can easily pick them up and move them around), so you can easily take it on the road to deer camp if need be and it stops arrows just as effectively as the Blob. It's totally self-sealing and doesn't appear that's it's going to wear arrows. I've been shooting the two BroadForce I have for 6 months now and they have little wear on them and no change in penetration.

S

AlexDad

Go to TSC and for $10 get a compressed bale of hay. I bought two and stacked on top of each other. Cut a pringles can in half and paint a 2-2.5" 5 spot in black and then take an old piece of 3/4" pvc and paint a white dot in the center of the 5 black circles. Lasted 2 years so far.

Now I do have 3 conventional targets all three Delta McKenzie. I bought an orange one with black targets about 4 years ago that I've shot a TON of field tips into and almost as many broadheads thats just fine still. I bought a Delta McKenzie Black Magnum that was ruined after maybe 30 arrows, mix of BHs and FTs.

I recently bought a bag target for the first time in a while and like it a lot. DM Crossbow Speed Bag. I don't know what it's stuffed with but I bought it so I could hang it, move it easier than the bales, etc but the arrows penetrate the bag and barely the stuffing. If taken care of it could last a long time.

Bought a Gander Mtn branded bag target 2 summers ago and what a piece of crap. Didn't last a month before arrows were blowing thru and stuffing coming out of both sides.

mattmillard510

I've purchased just about every target on the planet and I've never been fully satisfied. They're decent at best and extremely overpriced.

The commercial bag targets are getting more cheaply filled all the time. They're nowhere near the quality they used to be.

I personally think the best thing going is the ThirdHand Archery rag bags and skins. The bags you simply fill with old clothes and they hold up unbelievably well. The skins you build a box and fill the same way.

I built mine on the extreme overkill side but it's a lifetime target. You can't beat it.

4a740e72327fa3fec1b7e077bd592e90.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headhunter

mattmillard510":1jtmpqdw said:
I've purchased just about every target on the planet and I've never been fully satisfied. They're decent at best and extremely overpriced.

The commercial bag targets are getting more cheaply filled all the time. They're nowhere near the quality they used to be.

I personally think the best thing going is the ThirdHand Archery rag bags and skins. The bags you simply fill with old clothes and they hold up unbelievably well. The skins you build a box and fill the same way.

I built mine on the extreme overkill side but it's a lifetime target. You can't beat it.

How many times can you shoot broadheads in to that?

mattmillard510

Headhunter":1847g85h said:
mattmillard510":1847g85h said:

It's only a field point target but that's what 99.9% of my shooting is

Headhunter

mattmillard510":39habftu said:
Headhunter":39habftu said:
mattmillard510":39habftu said:

It's only a field point target but that's what 99.9% of my shooting is

many of my friends and myself included, 100 percent of our shooting is broadheads only. I one maybe one or two fieldpoints and basically have no use for them, so I don't shoot them.
That is where the blob is for sure an awesome target.

niclmbrt1

TNDeerGuy":12e2ekkv said:
I've shot everything over the years: bags, D/M 3D targets, Rinehart targets, Glendel targets, ragbags, Blobs etc... and I believe they each have their purpose and use.

For almost 30 years I've been shooting blobs, but will likely not be buying another one (I remember when you could drive down to Mohawk or Shaw carpet Mills and skip the guy on the dock a $10 and get a 4'X6' that was 24"thick and weighed 300lbs at least). They are great targets, but they do have their downside and someone has come up with a better mouse trap--they are heavy, they will wear your carbon arrows thin (which will eventually lead to breaks) if you only shoot the blob.

I do not like "The Block" targets, they are cheap made and their longevity is very short for the cost of the product, but they are easily portable.

I shoot bag targets on my home range as well, but honestly the only bag targets I like is the Morrell Range Bag and the best way to get them is on a Sunday afternoon when the ASA is packing up--you can get a good one for $40ish if you're patient and look thru the pile. Otherwise, you'll pay $100+ or so for a new one online. If I couldn't get them at the ASA shoots, then I likely would just shoot my 3D D/M's and my BroadForce targets.

My preferred 3D target is Rinehart because of their foam density, D/M is really sucking in this department right now, but the ASA shoots D/M so that's what I shoot, but if I didn't shoot competitively or shot IBO, then I would gladly shoot Rinehart targets.

My preferred overall combo target is a relatively new one that is gaining traction and the owner of the company is a fellow Tennessean (from my hometown of Soddy-Daisy)--his company is BroadForce targets. https://broadforcetargets.com/
David is one of the chemists down in Dalton for one of the big carpet Mills and he has proprietary knowledge of the composition of the Blob and has improved it. Not only does it weigh fractions of what the blob weighs (my 7 and 5 year old can easily pick them up and move them around), so you can easily take it on the road to deer camp if need be and it stops arrows just as effectively as the Blob. It's totally self-sealing and doesn't appear that's it's going to wear arrows. I've been shooting the two BroadForce I have for 6 months now and they have little wear on them and no change in penetration.

S

Thanks for heads on Broad Force Targets!!

Mike Belt

I seldom if ever shoot a broad head anymore while practicing. It would probably behoove anyone shooting mechanical heads right off the bat to shoot them and the same weight field tip for comparison. If everything is balanced out they should fly identical. After that no need to practice with anything other than the field tips which prolongs the life of any targets used.