Big birds

scn

This appears to be a premier year weight wise for TN birds. I suspect is has to do with the bountiful mast year we experienced in a lot of the state that let the gobblers start gorging in September and kept them on the acorns well into March and April. I am still seeing "good" acorns on the ground for them to eat.

The two yr old bird I killed was at least 23#s in my estimation. From the size when I shot, I was figuring it was at least a 3 yr old bird.

But, the best I have seen was a HUGE gobbler killed in Carrol Co by a good friend. I saw the picture of it hung from a scale with the weight pegged at an even 30 POUNDS. That is personally the heaviest TN gobbler I have ever seen.

Last edited:

Gravey

The two I killed were 17 and 21 lbs. Didn't look at the craw of the 17 but this was the 21. I don't always look but this kind of surprised me. Not a single bug or acorn.
IMG_6448.jpeg

cbhunter

Broad breasted whites get way bigger. 40lbs is normal at slaughter, and they can get close to 50lbs if they don't dislocate their legs or have heart failure first. Gross monstrosities for sure
I'm not sure how much you think that turkey weighs but I bet it's a solid 50 or more. Biggest ever was 86lbs…let that sink in

RoyalPrudent

This appears to be a premier year weight wise for TN birds. I suspect is has to do with the bountiful mast year we experienced in a lot of the state that let the gobblers start gorging in September and kept them on the acorns well into March and April. I am still seeing "good" acorns on the ground for them to eat.

The two yr old bird I killed was at least 23#s in my estimation. From the size when I shot, I was figuring it was at least a 3 yr old bird.

But, the best I have seen was a HUGE gobbler killed in Carrol Co by a good friend. I saw the picture of it hung from a scale with the weight pegged at an even 30 POUNDS. That is personally the heaviest TN gobbler I have ever seen.
I'd like to see that pic. 30lb birds are nearly a thing of myth.

megalomaniac

We killed one that weighed 29lbs on a certified PO scale back in the 90s. It was a different animal. next closest was 1 at 27lbs, 2 at 26lbs, and 2 that broke 25lbs. Yet most of our 'big' birds are 22-23lbs, with average appearing birds 21lbs. Less than 20lbs and I consider it 'small'

RoyalPrudent

We killed one that weighed 29lbs on a certified PO scale back in the 90s. It was a different animal. next closest was 1 at 27lbs, 2 at 26lbs, and 2 that broke 25lbs. Yet most of our 'big' birds are 22-23lbs, with average appearing birds 21lbs. Less than 20lbs and I consider it 'small'
Yeah, I've killed 2 that were about 26. Pretty sure they were eating cattle feed and hitting suburban birdfeeders.

Kyboy

Killed this one in 2019, I personally never weigh my turkeys but I knew this one seemed heavier when I was walking out and it just looked huge. Granted these scales may not be 100% correct but they are defiantly within a pound or so.

576946282.jpg
576946140.jpg