Best meat?

redblood

Elk first. Unless a wagyu or hybrid is available
My custom beef supplemented with grain
My custom beef grass fed
Muleys fresh off an alfalfa field
I'd rather eat woodies than whitetail easier to drag too
The grass fed craze is a marketing ploy IMO. We finished lots of beef on the farm. We would AI black simmental heifers to angus bull ( good ones) to get a smaller calf for their first birth (lower birthweights than simmental sired calves). We would also keep a bull calf and finish them on grain. It was superb. One year we had bought another farm down the road (35 acres) that was loaded with grass and fenced and put the heifers we retained and the steer and let em eat (grain was high so this was a great opportunity to add weight without the cost). Took a long time to get him to kill weight 800 to 900 pounds and the beef wasnt close. I know everyones taste is different, but it wasnt in same league as the beef finished in grain. We would finish them on a 16 percent beef pellet and then straight corn the last 30 days before slaughter. Sweet as sugar.

Of course farmers like to market "grain free" grass fed beef. In todays, market you can sell it for a premium and not have to buy over priced grain. But its not same IMO.

Mattt

The grass fed craze is a marketing ploy IMO. We finished lots of beef on the farm. We would AI black simmental heifers to angus bull ( good ones) to get a smaller calf for their first birth (lower birthweights than simmental sired calves). We would also keep a bull calf and finish them on grain. It was superb. One year we had bought another farm down the road (35 acres) that was loaded with grass and fenced and put the heifers we retained and the steer and let em eat (grain was high so this was a great opportunity to add weight without the cost). Took a long time to get him to kill weight 800 to 900 pounds and the beef wasnt close. I know everyones taste is different, but it wasnt in same league as the beef finished in grain. We would finish them on a 16 percent beef pellet and then straight corn the last 30 days before slaughter. Sweet as sugar.

Of course farmers like to market "grain free" grass fed beef. In todays, market you can sell it for a premium and not have to buy over priced grain. But its not same IMO.
Yup that's why I listed them in that order. Grass fed steak pretty much sux but if it's out of my pasture am I know what it ate it moves up on the list for me. Been around too many feedlots and see them eating sawdust,newspaper all kinds of crap just to get them to weight. Whatever catch phrase the can use to get people to think they're getting something better. What was the percentage required to be considered certified angus something like 60%? I know for a fact a lot of that is NOT angus. Know guys that sell 'filler' beef.

TX300mag

Grass-finished beef is one of the healthiest foods we can eat. The fatty acid profile is fantastic.

Finishing beef on grass successfully is a learned skill that comes with practice. Genetics also play a role in this.

Grass-finished beef done right is great, done incorrectly (usually harvesting animal too soon or at the wrong time of year) is lacking. I've even had it taste like fish before.

I love both, but I my preference is quality grass-finished beef.

AT Hiker

Corn feed beef is for women that like bud light and ketchup on their steaks.
Grass fed beef is for men.

A ever so slightly more serious note, like TX300 mentioned, knowing how to finish on grass is important. I also haven't been involved in beef science in a few years but I'm sure EPDs are being developed for grass beef.

Mattt

A ever so slightly more serious note, like TX300 mentioned, knowing how to finish on grass is important. I also haven't been involved in beef science in a few years but I'm sure EPDs are being developed for grass beef.
I'm hoping the waygu cross will make this a lot easier to obtain the final product I'm looking for.

redblood

Yall can have it.

webfeet7

I've only had moose once but it was fantastic. Got me looking seriously hard into a moose hunt until I saw the price! Would love to try it again

Latest posts