Being defeated?

Iglow

I've been thinking about the right words to get an idea through, this afternoon the phrase "being defeated" by a gobbler came to mind. I mean having a bird really hand you ass to you. It seems we keep coming up with stuff like extending the distance we don't have call one to with tss, so much better camo, the reaping crap, decoys etc. that we are stripping the gobblers ability to defeat us?
Sometimes it's just a simple matter of you hear him gobble on the roost, you make a call or 2 , he flies down, walks up and you shoot him and you're done. But many, many other times he won't come past that 50 yd mark or just sees something and that's it.
More so what I mean is in the past if a turkey never came closer than 50 yds he was almost certainly going to win but today that isn't so. Where do the advances end or do they never end?

megalomaniac

The advances won't ever stop making it easier for folks to kill and post how great a hunter they are on FB. At some point, respect for the animal and the game SHOULD overcome the advances. But it's not looking good in that dept.

Saw a FB post today where a guy shot at a tom at 110y. He flew off, but the hunter checked the direction he flew and found him dead another 70y away.

knightrider

The advances won't ever stop making it easier for folks to kill and post how great a hunter they are on FB. At some point, respect for the animal and the game SHOULD overcome the advances. But it's not looking good in that dept.

Saw a FB post today where a guy shot at a tom at 110y. He flew off, but the hunter checked the direction he flew and found him dead another 70y away.
Thats pretty damn disgusting 🤬 lots of these grip n grinners when he flies off never go check🤬 idiots trying to turn turkey hunting into deer hunting

Iglow

I guess it ceases to be hunting and becomes just killing.

Huntaholic

We dont learn anything from the ones we kill. We learn from the ones that beat us. I wont intentionally shoot at one past mid 40s. If I cant do better than that then he wins. Sometimes I misjudge, thats where the latest and greatest whizbang ammo comes in. Rather than crippling a bird to die a slow and painful death, hes still dead and flopping if I misjudge by 10 yards.

MickThompson

I've been flat beat by a few. They were either total boss birds that flew into unapproachable spots right off the tree or birds that had been completely ruined by other hunters. 4 immediately come to mind. These 4 couldn't really be beaten by more tech, well not by me, anyways.

Best lesson I learned was to just move on to another bird!

Bgoodman30

I hunted the same bird for 4-5 years never killed him. Left him alone for the most part because I knew how it would end….

Hymie3

Being beat, to me is part of the deal. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I deal with it like an adult and try again. I've gotten to the point that if I get one within 30, or less preferably, I feel like it's a victory whether I kill the bird or not. It's not all about just killing a bird to brag about.
Seems like less and less people aren't enjoying the experience and feel defeated if they don't have a picture to show.
I use a call and a gun. Period. However, I don't hold it against folks who use decoys.
my 2 ¢

CrossVolle

My buddy and I were defeated this morning in Ohio. Except the gobbler that defeated us didn't get far enough outta dodge and suicide gobbled 25 times at 10 am and ate a face full of TSS from my buddy's 12ga.

woodsman04

It ain't just hunting or fishing. Society is screwed up.
a lot of people are just about "me me me" and that's it. Hunting and fishing. Jobs. Youth sports. High school sports. College sports with all the transfers and NIL money.
Being humble, thankful, modest, and compassionate has nearly disappeared

Latest posts