beginner and need help from ya'll

MISSISSIPPIGUY

this spring i am going to start turkey hunting. i will be using my remington model 1100 it has a factory barrel. is this ok what kind of ammo do i use? what is good calls for beginners. what are good videos for me to watch and learn how to call them in. i will be hunting 30 acres of family land with plenty of turkeys from what i have seen so far. i have seen 20 in one group this deer season and i'm sure there are more on the neighboring properties.

thanks for the help

TheLBLman

MISSISSIPPIGUY said:
i am going to start turkey hunting. i will be using my remington model 1100 it has a factory barrel. is this ok what kind of ammo do i use? what is good calls for beginners.

IMO, the particular gun you're using may be the very least important aspect to turkey hunting success. Your Remington 1100 with it's factory barrel is a great turkey gun. I would recommend your choke be no more open than a "modified". IMO, it's almost a "toss up" as to whether "full" or "modified" will help a beginner more, although most will tell you to go with a "full" choke. But without better sights, it's very easy to miss an up close bird with some of the tighter "turkey" chokes.

Personally, I've killed most of my turkeys over the years with what most would just call a good 12 ga. "squirrel gun", 2 3/4-inch chamber, most killed with #5 shot (and always shooting for a head/neck shot). I've also killed several turkeys with three different 16 ga. shotguns, none of which most would consider much of a "turkey" gun.

Test some different loads.
You don't need the most expensive.
If you can find them locally, or would order from somewhere such as Cabela's, take a look at the Fiocci turkey loads which have nickel-plated shot. They seem to be among the cheapest of decent shells, yet have gotten very good reviews.

Remember, the less you call, probably the better.
Try to master a basic slate call first. While you're doing this, you might want to use one of the "push-button" calls.

WTM

i agree with bsl on the choke, but if your remy isnt threaded for a choke, you might try the federals. they have a shot cup that keeps the shot together tighter. just get some targets and pattern it, then you will know its range.

for a starter call i would get a slate or box call. i still use my very first call and its a slate, its 17 years old. a box call is a little harder to get purrs out of with a box imo.

nwtf has some good sound files of wild turkeys you can listen and practice too.
http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/calling_tips.html

the key is to read the turkeys attitude and dont overcall. i have killed more turkeys using just a feeding purr and cluck combo. its a simple deadly call.

one other thing, just because you are seeing turkeys on your property now, doesnt necessarily mean they will still be there come spring. good luck.

Asaltwpn1

MS guy, just remember to not over call and be patient. The rest you will learn real fast. Esp if you find a few jakes. Oh also, try to hold the gun steady from "turkey fever". It's addicting.

Latest posts