Beagle Training

Beardendy88

Me and my father have 3 males and 1 female beagle which are pretty good dogs. The female had 5 pups 3 males two females which are maybe 6 months old and I was wondering what are some good training techniques got young pups to make them good rabbit dogs.

PickettSFHunter

The best way I know is illegal Im pretty sure. We just let ours run loose for just a few months around the house with plenty of rabbitat nearby, but being sure to mess with them every day so they dont shy away or get to much of a mind of their own. They will take to it naturally if they are much count. Our line will usually be running some by 3-4 months and we will decide on what gets culled around 6 months. I dont like to shock off trash, I prefer catching them on track and giving them a switch but one hunting partner of ours does use shock collars with good luck, I just wasnt raised using shock collars so I dont. I do like pups to run with our older dogs before they are finished but I like to run them with just pups alot too so you can really see what they are doing and make sure they just arent mimicing the older dogs. We have 6 pups right now that are getting close to 6 months old and will be culling one of those to send to a kids home for a pet. It got attacked by a coyote while running a rabbit and just hasnt made much since, the other 5 are running great. I hate to get rid of any of them but we are up to 14 beagles now so I may do more culling.

rukiddin

The best thing I did for pups was to find someone with a pen. Most charge a nominal fee to put their pups in. Knew a guy with a 5 acre puppy pen. We would leave the pups in there with an old slow easy handling dog. If they have it. A light will go off within 2 weeks. I did'nt like to leave'em in there too long. Some dogs lose their "hunt" if run a lot in pens, cause they don't have to really hunt for rabbits. Same guy had a 50 acre pen for grown dogs. They were full of rabbits!
I always broke mine with shock collars but you need to be sure the dog is on deer. I broke mine in summertime. I'd ride the dirtroads of a evening and see a deer cross the road. Turn out on'em and light'em up as soon as they struck. I had fast dogs. There was'nt no catching up to'em once they would strike a deer. Never cared for the walky-talky types. When ours would run, if the rabbit did'nt hole up by about the 3rd circle......a lot of times they would catch it. 15" big pack style dogs. I miss those days dearly.

Mike Belt

Get them out where they can jump rabbits. They may not know what to do at first but they'll catch on. If you have any solid broke dogs mix them in a little until they catch on. Don't overdo that because they can easily learn to run the dog running the rabbit instead of running the rabbit themselves. I also used to start my 6-8 week old pups on baby rabbits. They will run them that young and open up on them as well. Of course the rabbits and the pups are about the same size so it's really fun for all at that stage. It used to be comical watching them and you could always tell the little buck rabbits from the does by the way they ran. The bucks would circle back on the pups and jump up at them kicking them with their hind feet which infuriated the pups making them run that much harder.

redblood

u got one of the best beagle trainers around in your area.

Jeff Davis
Huntsville, Al - right off 431

i will post his number when i look it up. i think he starts pups at 12 weeks

Latest posts