Bardstown, KY weekend trip

Tree Man

Myself and the wife along with another couple left Friday morning on the cycles, for a weekend get away. Left McMinnville went to Lebanon and picked up 231 north, then to 31E north. If you are ever in Uno, KY stop in at the Bar-B-Q place there. It is a mom and pop place and the food was great. The business is in a old store building. I had the pulled pork, the wife had a half a chicken, Jack had the pork shoulder it was all good.
Rode 31E on into Bardstown great road. Saturday since we were in Bourbon country we toured some of the distilleries. First we went to Markers Mark, in Loretto, KY and took the tour. This distillery is the oldest in the country in the same location. The wife just had to dip her own bottle in wax. I was instructed that I was not to break the seal on this bottle since it was dated 7/7/07. Guess I will have to wait until she is gone to break the seal. :) Then catch you know what when she finds out.
From there we rode the the Wild Turkey distillery. They did not offer tours on Saturday, but the woman in the gift shop told us the history of the Wild Turkey distillery. I had to buy a T-shirt on the back was Wild Turkey bottles fanned out like a turkey tail in strut. The caption below is "Quality Tail".
From there we rode to Versallies, KY and went to the Four Roses distillery. The wife saw a bottle she just had to have. This bottle I am allowed to drink, so she can put a candle in it when it is empty. Oh what I do to keep the wife happy. :) A short distance away we went to Woodford Reserve distillery, now this is some high class and high price burbon. But you should expect as much this is located in throughbred race horse country. The farms are emaculate. There are horse barns there that cost several times more than my house. And the horses probaly live better than I do. Of course the horses are worth more than I am. :)
Oh yeah if you are in the area you need to try a dish called " Hot Brown". This originated in the Lousiville area. The base ingreidents are turkey, ham, and bread served in a bowl with cheese sauce, bacon, and slices tomatoe on top. As we found out there are many variations of this dish, and they were all good.
A little history on Burbon whiskey. This wiskey orginated in the county of Bourbon, Ky. It was shipped south on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. People ordered the whiskey from Burbon county, KY. Then it was shortend to Burbon whiskey. Currently there are no distilleries in Burbon county,KY.
This is a great weekend getaway. There are several more distilleries we did not go to. In addition there are a couple of railroad musiumns (sp) and also civil war history in this area.
We rode 650 miles on this trip, mornings were pleasant, and typical of this time of year afternoons hot, but we had a good time. This is a great trip on the bike or a family trip in the car. Just thought I would share it with everyone.

Latest posts