Backpacking Tents

bjohnson

I'm getting tired of carrying all the heavy, bulky tents on hunting, fishing, and camping trips. Nothing out west but here in state. So I've been looking at backpacking tents and I have discovered that there is a lot that I do not know about tents lol. I want a 3 season 3p tent that would work on a hunting trip out west if I wanted to take it. Another thing is I hate bright colors on tents. I understand the reasoning behind it but sometimes I just don't like to stand out. But after combing through many reviews, it seems the brightly colored tents get better reviews as far as quality and materials go. But right now I'm looking at the NEMO Losi LS and a Marmot Tungsten. I haven't found anything on the Marmot as far as reviews but I can get it in moss green so that is why I'm looking at it. Anyone have any recommendations?

AT Hiker

I love my MSR hubba hubba. Its a tad heavy but very roomy and withstands any weather the Appalachians or Rockies have thrown at me. Its not brightly colored either.

I dont know anything about the tents you mentioned, but what about them do you like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bjohnson

I've read some great reviews on the NEMO, other than the one on the site below. I like it for its light weight and isn't too awful bright. Seems fairly easy to put up and take down.
http://www.rei.com/product/880480/nemo-losi-ls-3p-tent

I like the Marmot because of the moss green color it comes in. Other than that I can't find any reviews on this tent, but the materials seem durable and the price ain't bad. But I assume with tents, just like everything else, you get what you pay for. It also only weighs a little over 6 lbs.
http://www.rei.com/product/880108/marmo ... #tab-specs

bjohnson

I know all about cutting weight where you can, and can't. Couldn't agree more about set up and tear down.

What do you like about the black diamond line of tents? The Vista looks solid. How are the fast pitch hubs?

I'll probably head down to REI tomorrow. Luckily, Austin has 3 REI outlets so if one doesn't have what I'm looking for maybe the others will.

moondawg

I like Kelty tents. I have an older model (don't remember which) that I love. Set up is super easy. My brother sold it to me, and he used it on his backpacking trips. So far it hasn't let me down.

bjohnson

Well, went to all 3 REI locations and they didn't have tents I was interested in, but did set up a Marmot Limelight. Didn't buy anything but they said they would be getting the Nemo I was looking at shortly. I was kind of rushed on time so I didn't get to set up as many as I wanted but hopefully can make it back down in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the links Forvols.

Brisco Darlin

back when i used to do alot more backpacking instead of car tent camping, i'd carry a light weight hammock and set up under a tarp.

Brisco Darlin

poser that was back when i was way younger and didn't really matter. i backpacked primarily in late spring early summer and used a surplus army jungle hammock. the ones out there now are light years ahead of that. this also was back in the days of closed cell foam pads and external frame backpacks so that should tell you how long ago that was. :D

AT Hiker

I hammock the majority of the time now. Learning to sleep in a hammock is key, I sleep at an angle with my head lifted higher than my feet. My under quilt is used almost everytime it gets below 70 at night and the ease of setting one up and tearing it down is nothing like a tent. Of course you need a place to hang, which is why I dont often use it on backpack western hunts.

Brisco Darlin

AT Hiker":321gn2sn said:
I hammock the majority of the time now. Learning to sleep in a hammock is key, I sleep at an angle with my head lifted higher than my feet. My under quilt is used almost everytime it gets below 70 at night and the ease of setting one up and tearing it down is nothing like a tent. Of course you need a place to hang, which is why I dont often use it on backpack western hunts.

i could see why. in the humid southeast i feel smothered in a tent during spring and summer.

Latest posts