ATV Tires

.444 Marlin

Ive been thinkin about what tires Im gonna put on my foreman when the ones on it wear out and been lookin at some 25x10 or 26x10 ITP Mudlites but everyone on highlifter.com says they are junk and clog up with mud too easy (how Im not sure). What aftermarket tires are everyone running on your ATV (if any aftermarket tire users)?

Rackseeker

Mudlites are a really good tire thats what I have on mine. They ride really well also, they're a softer rubber than most aftermarket tires.

rr.jpg

Ragnar

No offense to anyone's ride of choice ...........

Do not buy Mud Lites. If somebody gives you a set, sell them and buy something else.

Some of y'all who run Mud Lites may not have had any trouble out of them yet, but I'd bet you haven't riden your bike very many miles through really rough terrain either. Mud Lites are not a true 6 ply tire. The sidewalls get progressively thinner the father down the sidewall toward the wheel you go. At the wheel, they are 2 - ply.

Any tire can and will fail, but Mud Lites have proven to those who ride all the time to be more succeptable to failure than most all others.

I guided a ride on Windrock a few months ago for a group who wanted difficult rated trails and higher speeds. We have one gentleman down from Wisconsin for his first trip on Windrock, and he had a brand new set of Mud Lites XTPs on his PoPo. He rode the bike back to the trailhead with the rest of us, but he pulled back in with one flat tire completely off the wheel, and 15 plugs in three tires. Yes, you read that right ..... 15 plugs n 46 miles on Windrock.

I could go on all day long with Mud Lite horror stories, but you get the picture.

Right now, probably the best tires out there are Maxxis Bighorns, Swamp Lites, and Swamp Foxes.

The Swmp Fox is a really stiff tire. 6 ply, stiff enough you can sit on an unmounted 26" tires, and if won't give. Deep Tread .... and they will through stuff forever behind you. Good tire from what I have seen so far.

I choose the Bighorns, though. Absolutely fantastic tire. Decent in the mud, and outstanding in every other department. Absolutely outstanding. 6 ply radial. Rides like a Michelin. Best tires on wet nast rocky terrain out there, if you ask me. I am active in the Windrock ATV Club (I'm on the Trail Patrol up there), so I ride every minute my work schedule will allow with folks from all over. I have only seen or heard of one Bighorn plugged on Windrock. One. That is huge.

I run 26" Horns on my Foreman, and they actually measure close to 27". Between the 'Horns and my Perfex suspension kit, I went from less than 8" of ground clearance to 14" of GC at the floorboards. Seriously. Between the two, they will make that Foreman ride like a new bike. They did mine.

Rackseeker

Ragnar makes a good point. The Mud-Lite sidewall is the weak point of that tire. Overall I've had good luck with them. I've had one hole in the side wall, out of three different sets on two different ATV's. The toughest tires I've ever seen are the Kenda Executioners.(sp?) They are one bad tire. They are heavy and stiff,but tough.......... If you are looking for a set of tires check out www.atvoutfitters.net They are excellent to do business with also lowest prices I've found.

MJM99

Ragnar has really good points about mudlights, I have friends that have had them and they were ok, but they are soft and very prone to punctures and if you get on the road, they will get eat up quick. I bought 27" Mud Machine Bi/Tri Claws. They do well on the trails, back up extremely good when you get off in the ruts and get stuck (as will any SRA atv will do eventually) I have almost 600 miles on mine and lately have probably put close to 75-100 miles of asphault riding on them (not really my choice, but we had places we had to go..lol..) At any rate, mine are holding up really good. Only 1 plug, and that was because we were riding on a freshly bush hogged powerline and I had gotten off the trail and running over the sapplings that had been cut off. You may never have a problem with mudlights, but I know they would not hold up for the places we go. I'll try to take some pics and post them in the next few days when I can if you would like. (mine is a '05 500S)

Ragnar

And I will say that I have a very good friend that rode Mud Lites for quite a long time, and didn't have a problem. However, he tends to have a conservative riding style and treats his equipment with kid gloves. When it came time to replace them, he went with the Swamp Fox, which is a similar tread design, but is a true 6 ply, and if you go with 26" tires, they have 2.5" of tread. DEEP.

It all depends on your riding style. If you tend to like to run and gun, or like the rough stuff, sooner or later the MLs will let you down. If you don't ride that way, you may never have a problem.

Also, if you just prefer the tread design of the MLs, you might look at the Pirelli Mudweiser.I don't know a whole lot about them, bbut the tread design is almost identical and they are a full 6 ply tire, and Pirelli has a well earned rep in tire making.

As opinionated as I am, I always cary a plug kit, slime, and an air compressor with me, no matter what kind of tire I'm running, because ain't one of them completey puncture proof.

Ragnar i think you need to slow down and think alittle and maybe research swamp foxes dont have no 2.5 inches of tread i will post a link so you can get your facts.
I like swamp foxes also if i wouldnt have found my mudlight that is prolly what i would have bought
I know a guy that has gators also and he loves his and said they last good also.
http://www.amstires.com/productDetails. ... ry_id=1185

Ragnar

big 8's in Weakley county said:
Ragnar i think you need to slow down and think alittle and maybe research swamp foxes dont have no 2.5 inches of tread i will post a link so you can get your facts.
I like swamp foxes also if i wouldnt have found my mudlight that is prolly what i would have bought
I know a guy that has gators also and he loves his and said they last good also.
http://www.amstires.com/productDetails. ... ry_id=1185

You are exactly correct. But on your link, if you will look on the left hand menu, look for Swamp Fox Plus. For some reason, AMS puts deeper tread on the same tire in 26" and taller, and calls it the Swamp Fox Plus. Most folks I ride with run oversized tires anyway, so I have gotten out of the habit of differentiating. Even so, my fat little fingers were moving a little too fast, and I mis-spoke. I meant to say 1.5", not 2.5" (good grief, that would make them more like a paddle tire). The 26" Swamp Fox tires have 1.2" tread depth (per their specs), not 2.5".

http://www.amstires.com/productDetails.jsp?product_group_id=4900&category_id=1186

As you can see, this is a much more agressive tire than the same tire that is only an inch shorter.

Latest posts