.410 for turkey

if you're wanting to get some shells for a 410 that doesn't break the bank that do pretty good i would recommend the Winchester double x sportsmans outdoor superstore has them right now with a rebate for 9.99/ box and they pattern well from my stevens 301. but my gun really shines with Browning 410 TSS it's a 50 yard gun easy with it, I know. here's a pic of my gun with the double x. I wouldn't try it past 35 yards though (target is at 30 yards btw)
I shoot these in my .410.

Southern Sportsman

I would not shoot tss in that .410. Too many complaints about tss messing up .410 barrels.
Not necessarily arguing, but I've never heard of a TSS load damaging any barrel, .410 or otherwise.

Wouldn't tss be about the same as shooting steel shot as far doing any damage to the barrels.
Shooting TSS through a .410 would be much better than shooting steel. Full disclosure, I started hand loading before TSS was available commercially, and I haven't tried to keep up with all the commercial options. But unless the manufacturer is an idiot, TSS loads all use a thick, heavy-duty wad designed for hard pellets, to prevent scoring. And commercial loads—lead, steel, or tungsten—SHOULD all be within SAAMI pressure specifications, so chamber pressure usually isn't the issue. But when considering the potential risk to a barrel, the biggest distinction between steel and TSS is the tiny, smooth, perfectly spherical TSS pellets. Because steel (< 8g/cm3) is comparatively much lighter and less dense than tungsten (>18g/cm3), you have to use much larger shot with steel i.e., 2 or 3 shot versus 9 or 10 shot. A shot column with tiny, smooth pellets is not likely to bulge a barrel like steel can.

I'm over simplifying it a little, but this analogy helps me conceptualize it. Picture a 2" pipe that narrows slightly at one end. Take 8 oz of marbles, tie them very tightly into a sock, and try to ramrod that sock from the wide end of the pipe through narrow end. Then do the same thing with 8 oz of BBs. Which sock is more likely to get lodged in the pipe when it narrows?

Last edited:

tnanh

Not necessarily arguing, but I've never heard of a TSS load damaging any barrel, .410 or otherwise.

Shooting TSS through a .410 would be much better than shooting steel. Full disclosure, I started hand loading before TSS was available commercially, and I haven't tried to keep up with all the commercial options. But unless the manufacturer is an idiot, TSS loads all use a thick, heavy-duty wad designed for hard pellets, to prevent scoring. And commercial loads—lead, steel, or tungsten—SHOULD all be within SAAMI pressure specifications, so chamber pressure usually isn't the issue. But when considering the potential risk to a barrel, the biggest distinction between steel and TSS is the tiny, smooth, perfectly spherical TSS pellets. Because steel (< 8g/cm3) is comparatively much lighter and less dense than tungsten (>18g/cm3), you have to use much larger shot with steel i.e., 2 or 3 shot versus 9 or 10 shot. A shot column with tiny, smooth pellets is not likely to bulge a barrel like steel can.

I'm over simplifying it a little, but this analogy helps me conceptualize it. Picture a 2" pipe that narrows slightly at one end. Take 8 oz of marbles, tie them very tightly into a sock, and try to ramrod that sock from the wide end of the pipe through narrow end. Then do the same thing with 8 oz of BBs. Which sock is more likely to get lodged in the pipe when it narrows?
I have read a lot about scratches in 410 barrels from tss. Call William at Sumtoy customs and he will warn about it. Especially in older guns.

Latest posts