3 bird limit???

megalomaniac

For those who know better than me, what is a realistic target to aim for with successful nest hatches and poults surviving the 28 day gauntlet that would equate to successful management? Obviously we all want 100% but that's not rerealistic.
The magic number is 2.2 poults per hen surviving until August to maintain population. Anything less than that, and the population is declining.

muddyboots

The issue with this is our mountain birds, true mountain birds not the fake ones in middle Tennessee are weeks to a month behind much of the state due to elevation. Closing it before may would not be ideal for our hunting
I totally get that and by all means leave season open in your area. As our area the turkeys are ahead of most of the state.

Rakkin6

actually pretty excited moving the season back up a week (selfishly not biologically )

Limit of 2 or 3 makes no difference to me. Yes I limit out each year but I gauge that based on the populations of the areas I hunt. If its low I either dont hunt it or only kill one there.

Id LOVE to ban decoys at least the first week, now that is statistics Id love to see. Shorten the season (reduce the days in May) and outlaw jakes and hens, all that would be a great start IMO
Me personally I am for a two bird limit but I am neutral in decoys. I do use them from time to time depending on the area I get on Fort Campbell. Decoys are not really a deal breaker for me either way. Kind of look at them like I do doe in heat, grunt tubes etc.

drawforce

My area has a bumper crop this year in west Tn.
IMG_1936.jpeg

Southern Sportsman

There is a study being done here on what's called the SRS (Savannah River Site) on turkey breeding. In that area there is no hunting allowed and there hasn't been for a few years. There is also no burning, no trapping, and no habitat improvement on any sort. The only variable missing from there is hunting pressure.

View attachment 221494

The numbers are certainly better than the numbers from other Southeastern sites that allow hunting but only a 32% successful hatch rate still is pretty low.

So that makes me think hunting isn't having near the effect on breeding as we're being told as a reason to move season dates around. At least the ones that are hatching seem to be surviving longer.

For those who know better than me, what is a realistic target to aim for with successful nest hatches and poults surviving the 28 day gauntlet that would equate to successful management? Obviously we all want 100% but that's not realistic.
32% nest success vs. 22% nest success is a 45% improvement.

I don't know the magic number for nest success rate (as mega points out, poults per hen is the main parameter they look at, but PPH is usually estimated after everything hatches and reaches a couple weeks old. So it is directly influenced by nesting rate, nest success, poult survival rate, etc.). However, the thesis paper that everyone is discussing notes that the nest success rate seen in the study counties (or more accurately, the success rate pre-delay, which was around .25) "were similar to the estimates from other declining populations in the Southeast." He cites three other studies of declining populations as examples — .26 (GA), .24 (SC), and .24 (LA).

I may be off, but a 32% nest success rate seems decent/reasonable. Roughly 1/3 of the nests laid successfully producing poults. Out of 1000 nests, 22% success rate means 220 produce a poult. 32% = 320 producing poults. Although the nest only has to produce 1 poult to count as "successful," if the nest isn't destroyed, most produce a handful to a dozen. So you're talking about a difference of several hundred, maybe just under 1000, more baby turkeys hatching per 1000 nests laid. I don't know how big an area would need to be to realistically house 1000 nests. Maybe @megalomaniac knows. But on a county-wide (much less statewide) scale, nest success of 32% vs. 22% seems like a pretty big deal.

Last edited:

Iglow

I remember sneaking up a hill overlooking the refuge and peeking into that big sloping field about 2006. I was dumbfounded at the turkeys there, it was like what massive herds of buffalo must have looked like, there was probably 150 - 200 turkeys scratching and feeding along. I usta see big bunches daily at the same places, almost without fail, now, they are scarce or gone.

REN

I remember sneaking up a hill overlooking the refuge and peeking into that big sloping field about 2006. I was dumbfounded at the turkeys there, it was like what massive herds of buffalo must have looked like, there was probably 150 - 200 turkeys scratching and feeding along. I usta see big bunches daily at the same places, almost without fail, now, they are scarce or gone.

had a similar experience around the same year. Place I got access to had a 200 acre cut field at the bottom of a ridge on the river. Went the week before season to see if there were any birds and I kid you not that 200 acre field you could barely see any green spots there was so many there. I had a picture of it I was so shocked (wish I could find it). I have never seen anything like it before.

I always do wonder though, what caused the HUGE boom and then the sudden decline in such a short span. We talk habitat loss ect but it wasnt dramatic in a lot of areas the following 5-10 year window (as much as it has been in the more recent 5 year span). I get natural biology meaning more turkeys = more predators. At the time there wasnt much talk about turkeys and population, seems it just boomed in a short time period. Granted some of the more "modern" hunting strategies where not so common back then.

megalomaniac

32% nest success vs. 22% nest success is a 45% improvement.

I don't know the magic number for nest success rate (as mega points out, poults per hen is the main parameter they look at, but PPH is usually estimated after everything hatches and reaches a couple weeks old. So it is directly influenced by nesting rate, nest success, poult survival rate, etc.). However, the thesis paper that everyone is discussing notes that the nest success rate seen in the study counties (or more accurately, the success rate pre-delay, which was around .25) "were similar to the estimates from other declining populations in the Southeast." He cites three other studies of declining populations as examples — .26 (GA), .24 (SC), and .24 (LA).

I may be off, but a 32% nest success rate seems decent/reasonable. Roughly 1/3 of the nests laid successfully producing poults. Out of 1000 nests, 22% success rate means 220 produce a poult. 32% = 320 producing poults. Although the nest only has to produce 1 poult to count as "successful," if the nest isn't destroyed, most produce a handful to a dozen. So you're talking about a difference of several hundred, maybe just under 1000, more baby turkeys hatching per 1000 nests laid. I don't know how big an area would need to be to realistically house 1000 nests. Maybe @megalomaniac knows. But on a county-wide (much less statewide) scale, nest success of 32% vs. 22% seems like a pretty big deal.
No idea on how many acres of excellent habitat it takes to hold 1000 nests, but for sure, hens don't like to nest close to one another.

As far as 'nest success', I'm not sure if they are defining it as an actual nest hatched (successful and complete incubation resulting in a live poult). If so, the VAST majority of nests that actually do hatch produce 10+ poults out of the clutch. So a small increase in successful nests results in a dramatic increase in number of day old poults. Problem is... the vast majority of those day old poults don't make it till August.

Stlbaseball1

Muddyboots and knighrider are a perfect example of why we should have regional units for TN. SW corner should start first of April run 30 days. NE corner should start mid April and run 30 days. Rest of state could be somewhere in between depending on the number of regions decided. I believe for the betterment of turkeys in all of TN you start with a statewide limit of 2 for all regions. Evaluate after a few years, but remember if different units in TN have different limits, the higher limit units will get bombarded by the lower limit units. This is just my .02 cents and I'm not a very smart guy.

Southern Sportsman

No idea on how many acres of excellent habitat it takes to hold 1000 nests, but for sure, hens don't like to nest close to one another.

As far as 'nest success', I'm not sure if they are defining it as an actual nest hatched (successful and complete incubation resulting in a live poult). If so, the VAST majority of nests that actually do hatch produce 10+ poults out of the clutch. So a small increase in successful nests results in a dramatic increase in number of day old poults. Problem is... the vast majority of those day old poults don't make it till August.
That is how nest survival is defined, but he actually extrapolated the numbers by raising the "daily nest survival"rate (.953) to the 28th power to account for the 28 day incubation period.

No doubt a majority of those poults will die before August from a million different causes. But you have to start somewhere. And I hope everyone will agree that's it's better to start with more turkeys before the attrition factors take their toll. And by all means, as individuals we should keep doing what we can to reduce attrition (trapping, habitat improvements, etc.). Doing what we can to hatch more poults and doing what we can to help those poults survive to adulthood are not mutually exclusive.

scn

My area has a bumper crop this year in west Tn.View attachment 221550
I'm happy for you having some birds to play with! But, in reality, that picture is a big nothing burger compared to what it used to be before the agency set limits with $$$ signs in their eyes instead of flock sustainability. A picture like yours would have had a 100+ birds from several of the middle TN counties before they increased the season length and bag limits.

megalomaniac

That is how nest survival is defined, but he actually extrapolated the numbers by raising the "daily nest survival"rate (.953) to the 28th power to account for the 28 day incubation period.

No doubt a majority of those poults will die before August from a million different causes. But you have to start somewhere. And I hope everyone will agree that's it's better to start with more turkeys before the attrition factors take their toll. And by all means, as individuals we should keep doing what we can to reduce attrition (trapping, habitat improvements, etc.). Doing what we can to hatch more poults and doing what we can to help those poults survive to adulthood are not mutually exclusive.
Absolutely! the more of everything (hens, nests, eggs, poults, and ultimately if everything works out favorably, juvies) the better!

Hens themselves are extremely vulnerable while setting (incubating) for 28 days, as are their nests. The poults get picked off by everything, but especially raptors. I've heard before it takes between 100-200 eggs to produce just one single adult gobbler.

Southern Sportsman

Muddyboots and knighrider are a perfect example of why we should have regional units for TN. SW corner should start first of April run 30 days. NE corner should start mid April and run 30 days. Rest of state could be somewhere in between depending on the number of regions decided. I believe for the betterment of turkeys in all of TN you start with a statewide limit of 2 for all regions. Evaluate after a few years, but remember if different units in TN have different limits, the higher limit units will get bombarded by the lower limit units. This is just my .02 cents and I'm not a very smart guy.
The higher limit units will get SOME increased pressure, for sure. But as has been pointed out a bunch of times, a very small percentage kill more than 2 birds anyway. The relatively small number of accomplished hunters who kill two in their home region with time to spare will look to travel to the higher limit units for an extra bird (or two, if they were to bump some of middle TN up to 4 birds and keep others at 2). But if the season dates are uniform, I don't think it would be enough of an increase to stress about. Now if they start the season earlier in one unit, then yeah, there will be a big influx of hunters from other units whenever the earliest date kicks off.

Latest posts