Turkey Vests

Bone Collector

I am looking at getting a new vest. I have decided I want one with the kick stands in the back so i can set up really anywhere.

I have found two and have heard good things about both. What are your thoughts/opinions on the ALPS Grand Slam or the Cabellas Tactical Tat'r.

Pros/Cons
why you would choose one over the other
etc.

thanks,

Gravey

I had the tactical tat'r with kickstand and loved being able to set up anywhere and not have to have a tree to lean into. At the same time the frame part bugged me when leaning into a tree. The main reason I got rid of it was it was just too hot for me. Good vest though.

timberghost3591

I swapped to the Aplz this yr halfway through the season. I got sick and tired of the Aplz grand slam being too dang hot and heavy. I love the Aplz kickstand once I got everything adjusted and in certain pockets.

On a side note, I actually bought one last year and sold it before even hunting with it. I sat down in the kitchen and didn't think I would like it. Tried it again this year when I caught them on sale. Glad I did...

Bone Collector

timberghost3591":1nw5opqq said:
I swapped to the Aplz this yr halfway through the season. I got sick and tired of the Aplz grand slam being too dang hot and heavy. I love the Aplz kickstand once I got everything adjusted and in certain pockets.

On a side note, I actually bought one last year and sold it before even hunting with it. I sat down in the kitchen and didn't think I would like it. Tried it again this year when I caught them on sale. Glad I did...

So do you use the Grand slam or a different ALPS vest?

I figured it would be hot and heavy. That is why I have been waffling. I like the idea of being able to set up anywhere.

The Tactical Tat'r isn't much lighter and I can't see it being anymore cooler or hotter, which is what I am seeing in the responses.

I think i like the layout of the the ALPS better, but did note it was a bit heavier and looked like it may be warmer...

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
I hunted with an Alps grand slam for a few years. It has held up well. The layout is great and the frame is nice for setups with no trees. What I don't like is the weight and overall width of the frame. The feet catch and hit limbs making unnecessary noise. I'm going to hang on to it, but will use my K&H RNG 200 most of the time.

Gravey

Bone Collector":26xnthzc said:
Rockhound":26xnthzc said:
I have the tactical tatr 2 with the kickstand and it's so freaking comfortable. The frame against a tree makes it better to me as well

does the Tat'r 2 have the kickstand? all the pictures show it without.
Mine did.

As mentioned above look at the knight & hale run n gun. I tried the 300 this year and like it pretty well. Wish you could get into the back of it without taking it off and the bottle holder needs to be deeper with a way to tighten it down. It doesn't have a kickstand though.

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
Gravey":16pblk3t said:
Bone Collector":16pblk3t said:
Rockhound":16pblk3t said:
I have the tactical tatr 2 with the kickstand and it's so freaking comfortable. The frame against a tree makes it better to me as well

does the Tat'r 2 have the kickstand? all the pictures show it without.
Mine did.

As mentioned above look at the knight & hale run n gun. I tried the 300 this year and like it pretty well. Wish you could get into the back of it without taking it off and the bottle holder needs to be deeper with a way to tighten it down. It doesn't have a kickstand though.

I agree the bottle holders are not deep enough on the RNG vests. This year I tried a water bladder and hose. I doubt I'll ever carry water bottles again after using the bladder.

Bone Collector

its funny you guys mention the water bottle holders. My current vest has 2, and that is important to me. I noticed on the Tactical Tat'r it looked like it only had one holder. The ALPS looks like it had 2.

I was worried about the kick stands hitting stuff on both. I just like the idea of not needing a tree in certain situations. I assume if you have one, you can just sit against the tree and I 99% sure i read where you can take the frame off of both of them, so if you knew you were going into a thick area to get where you wanted to be, but once you got where you wanted to be there were plenty of trees, you could leave the frame off for that hunt, right?

Those RNG vests are nice, but like you said, it seems that everything is set up for speed. I like the ability to get things out quick, but worry about say a pot call falling out. That thing is set up to live up to its name and allow you to run, but doesn't have hardly any place for water. I'm assuming from the response it has a holder for a water bladder in the bag?

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
The grand slam does have two water bottle pockets. The frame comes off. I have read it is a hassle to put back on, I've never taken mine off. When I switched to the RNG, I cut way back on the amount of calls I was carrying. I went to only one pot call and I put it in a zippered pocket. It is easy to get to and I don't have to worry about it falling out of one the outer pot call holders. The pocket on the back has the bladder holder. I just zip tied the hose to the shoulder strap to keep it more streamline.

woodsman04

I've been wanting the ALPS long spur. Light weight and cool probably. Never tried one on. I use those turkey loungers and they are comfortable and not hard to carry in my opinion. I've used the lounger and Tom teasers turkey purse for several years.

Wanting to go back to a vest because they are a little more comfortable and easier to organize stuff. And with the light weight east to carry turkey lounger I can be comfortable and no need for a tree if the situation arises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bone Collector

Gravey":1kelhei5 said:
Mike...if you want to see a Run N Gun 300 come out to my house. I really like the layout for calls. Super easy to get them. I have 2 pot calls and a couple mouth calls I carry.

Chad. I appreciate it, but I think i am going to get the ALPS vest. I know it is heavier, but I cannot see how it would be hotter or cooler than the next vest. I like the layout and the design of the vest. Way I see it is worse case scenario I don't like lugging the frame, and I take it off. At that point it is like a pound and half heavier than the RNG.

I may end up doing what you did and decide to go with a lighter easier to run in vest latter on down the road and buy the newest RNG or something like it.

I may come to your house though and check out the fire pit and see how many beers you have in the fridge. :lol:

Gravey

Bone Collector":1n4pt7ul said:
Gravey":1n4pt7ul said:
Mike...if you want to see a Run N Gun 300 come out to my house. I really like the layout for calls. Super easy to get them. I have 2 pot calls and a couple mouth calls I carry.

Chad. I appreciate it, but I think i am going to get the ALPS vest. I know it is heavier, but I cannot see how it would be hotter or cooler than the next vest. I like the layout and the design of the vest. Way I see it is worse case scenario I don't like lugging the frame, and I take it off. At that point it is like a pound and half heavier than the RNG.

I may end up doing what you did and decide to go with a lighter easier to run in vest latter on down the road and buy the newest RNG or something like it.

I may come to your house though and check out the fire pit and see how many beers you have in the fridge. :lol:
Come on. I can tell you there will be less this time tomorrow than there are now. ;) :party:

timberjack86

My thing is I want a comfy vest with a large gamebag. Most of the higher end vests I have checked don't have a large enough gamebag to hold a turkey. I'm usually 2 miles from the truck when I bag a turkey. This cheap vest is probably the best I have had as far as seat and gamebag goes. HS Strut.

Attachments

• IMG_20200405_093426892.jpg
    IMG_20200405_093426892.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 879

TheAirMan

I kinda have a love/hate relationship with my cabelas tatr. I love it when I need it. I hate the frame when I dont have to have it. I know it has to be there to work but it feels like I'm carrying a piece of plywood on my back. If I try to sit against a tree the frame will usually make my body want to rock side to side. For some reason, me and the seat and legs dont get along. I'm always having to either pull the seat straps out around the legs or something to get everything folded up right. I love the actual vest and have thought more than once about just taking the frame out. However, where I hunt it is very very handy.

Tennessee Lead

woodsman04":2jf3b4m1 said:
I've been wanting the ALPS long spur. Light weight and cool probably. Never tried one on. I use those turkey loungers and they are comfortable and not hard to carry in my opinion. I've used the lounger and Tom teasers turkey purse for several years.

Wanting to go back to a vest because they are a little more comfortable and easier to organize stuff. And with the light weight east to carry turkey lounger I can be comfortable and no need for a tree if the situation arises.

I've got the Longspur Deluxe I would part with. Used it about half the season. I've switched to a satchel since and have no plans to change.

Latest posts