I found the crown jewel of Delta Hot Tamales

BamaProud

I don't know if any of yall remember but probably 7-8 years I was obsessed with Delta style Hot Tamales. I tried a bunch around town, ordered some on line from a couple of places in the delta around Greenville, MS (where they supposedly originated at Doe's Eat House). Anyway, I recently discovered people are selling food on Facebook Marketplace, so I have beet trying some from people around West TN and North MS. Today I hit the jackpot. I met a little ole black lady from Cordova in the Kroger parking lot and got a dozen for 12 bucks, told her thanks and headed home.

After eating a few I messaged her this: "The Hot tamales are the best I've had since the original Doe's eat place in Lake Village, AR. I'll definitely get some more soon." Turns out she is from Greenville and previously worked at Doe's. She won the first Tamale contest in Greenville. I'm not saying she is using Doe's original recipe, but she i s using Doe's original recipe.

y33M42L.jpg

If anyone in the area wants some world class Delta there are right here. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 6882782827 :super: :super:

BamaProud

I think Technically Doe's was just across the River in Lake Village, Arkansas. That is where my Mother N Law grew up and how was introduced to this delta delicacy. (My family thinks I'm crazy, I feel like a kid on Christmas morning)

Omega

Headed to Denver to see my mom, and tamales are on the agenda, as well as some hatch chili, mom made about 4 dozen, and they are great, but I just can't ask her for the numbers we are planning on getting so I plan to taste test and then purchase dozens of the best I find.

TnTurk

How ironic this is. I was born and raised Greenville right across the river bridge from Lake Village. I've eaten more than my fair share of hot tamales from Does Eat Place and didn't really know just how good they really were until I had other tamales from outside the delta. I can truthfully say that they are simply the best. You can bet that the next time I visit my brother I'll be requesting hot tamales for supper.

TnTurk

We fished lakes Lee and Ferguson mostly along with the Mississippi river. We would water ski on Chicot because it was a nicer lake. The delta was a nice place to grow up but a lot has changed and I wouldn't want to live the now.

waterman

BamaProud":34rxv8mx said:
Delta Hot tamales are a totally different animal from what most people call tamales(of the mexican/tex-mex variety). Delta hot tamales are thinner, dense and very moist.
interesting, didnt know there was a difference. will definetly keep an eye out. guessing the chances of finding them around east tn pretty slim

TAFKAP

Ha! Have you tried Hattie's Tamales in the STAX neighborhood? They're awesome. It's a fat wad of meat, and a thin coating of masa. Great heat on them too

BamaProud

TAFKAP":9aqgykfk said:
Ha! Have you tried Hattie's Tamales in the STAX neighborhood? They're awesome. It's a fat wad of meat, and a thin coating of masa. Great heat on them too

I haven't tried Hatties, but I will put them on my list. I googled them and they look interesting, very thin MASA. Do they use strips of meat instead of a ground mix?
Unfortunately it looks like they are shut right now down now due to COVID.

TAFKAP

BamaProud":17c8y29p said:
TAFKAP":17c8y29p said:

I haven't tried Hatties, but I will put them on my list. I googled them and they look interesting, very thin MASA. Do they use strips of meat instead of a ground mix?
Unfortunately it looks like they are shut right now down now due to COVID.

No, it's ground meat....I just hate getting tamales and they're all masa. Hatties is not at all like that. I hate they're shut down right now. All this tamale talk makes me want to head over there now.

Also, there's a Hispanic grocery store on Getwell & American Way. They operate a restaurant on one side, and the food there is pretty spectacular. I got the pork tamales on Monday, and they're without a doubt the best I've ever had. Coming in a close second is Tony's Tacos in Collierville. If you've never been there, you're really missing out. Best Mexican food in Memphis.

GMB54

Also, there's a Hispanic grocery store on Getwell & American Way. They operate a restaurant on one side, and the food there is pretty spectacular.

Got a little place not far from me just like that too. They only have tamales on Saturday.

TAFKAP

GMB54":3kc2cdbe said:
Also, there's a Hispanic grocery store on Getwell & American Way. They operate a restaurant on one side, and the food there is pretty spectacular.

Got a little place not far from me just like that too. They only have tamales on Saturday.

Yeah, tamale Saturday is their deal as well. But they have a hot-box at the counter that had pre-packaged half-dozens, and I grabbed one.

Eyes roll back in your head kind of good

Latest posts