Zeiss Conquest V4 3-12x56 - thoughts?

tahtah

Here's a question for you scope experts. I have an opportunity to get the Zeiss scope noted in the subject line for a really good price. I currently have 2 Leupolds and no real experience with any other scopes. I've heard nothing but good things about Zeiss scopes.

I'm a bit concerned about the size and weight of this scope. Based on their website spec sheet, it weighs 21.5 oz. I often hunt a mile or more deep and any weight adds up. Also, I think I've seen comments in a TNDeer thread about a heavy scope affecting how the rifle handles/shoots. I plan to put this scope on a Bergara 6.5 CM.

Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks in advance for input.

TheLBLman

With a 3-12x magnification, for daytime hunting, I can't imagine actually needing an objective any larger 50mm by anyone, especially a high quality glass like Zeiss where larger objectives may be even less "needed" than with lower quality glass.

For me personally, I don't need any objective larger than 44mm with the 3-12x magnification range.
Anything more serves no purpose other than adding weight and a larger footprint.

TNRifleman

With a 3-12x magnification, for daytime hunting, I can't imagine actually needing an objective any larger 50mm by anyone, especially a high quality glass like Zeiss where larger objectives may be even less "needed" than with lower quality glass.

For me personally, I don't need any objective larger than 44mm with the 3-12x magnification range.
Anything more serves no purpose other than adding weight and a larger footprint.
My comcern with the 3-12 is not the size of the bell but that it doesn't have exposed turrets. If you don't mind that and can get a good deal, it is a great scope. 21 oz is not that bad honestly as most hunting scopes will hover in the 18-21oz range with a fe decent scopes still available at 15 oz or slightly under.

hittingsteal

56 big obj if hunting woods. Great for wide open shots or long range. And most big obj has at least 30 mm tube for more light and elevation if you dial. And the glass hard beat.

Andy S.

I've owned 50mm and 56mm exit diameter objectives in the past, years ago. My new rule of thumb is to never own a scope larger than 44mm, preferably 40-42mm, with a few 36mm mixed in the bag. Great high end glass and smaller objective exit opening is my choice these days.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Personally I like a larger objective / bigger field of view.
Makes target acquisition much easier for me, especially in woods.

tahtah

This thread has certainly lived longer than I ever expected! :)

So to give an update. I agree with all the thoughts/comments about the 56mm objective being much larger than needed. It would not have been my first choice. And I'm not one to shoot long distances, so I don't need external turrets. In fact, those would probably just mess me up at some point.

This was a case of the scope being in hand and a great deal. I could've ordered a different scope, but not sure when I would have gotten it. I went ahead and got this one. I mounted it on my current rifle, but intend to put it on a new Bergara (if it ever comes). It is big, but it's not too bad. However, looking through it is VERY NICE! Wow! The clarity is everything everyone has mentioned. I really like the reticle in it and it also has an illuminated dot in the center, which can be turned on or off and brightness adjusted. I wasn't sure I'd care for that, but I think in low light situations, it's going to be really nice.

Of course, I've not tried it in the woods or low light. I'm anxious to actually hunt with it.

Latest posts