Youth Rifle

I'm about to purchase a youth rifle for my son. He is only three, but I have received a relatively large Academy gift card so I figured what better way to put it to good use. I have already decided that I am going with the 7-08 caliber. What are some of your experiences with the Ruger American youth model rifles? I was looking at Savage youth models, but they don't seem to carry them in this caliber.

BSK

Haven't used the youth models, but my daughter, who is not a large person, loves shooting deer with my 7mm-08. She says she never feels the recoil, even though it is more substantial than the caliber would indicate.

rtaylor

I'm not sure about all the Ruger Americans but my bolt doesn't lock down even with the safety on and it drives me crazy. Tikka has a youth model that is pretty sweet.

billyboy

I got a Youth Model 7 .243 for my daughter years ago. She's killed several deer with it and I carry it sometimes just because it's so light and compact.

Last edited:

Stumpsitter

Bought my son a CVA scout TD in stainless .
.243 in caliber. He shot it a time or two and was confident with it. Took it out on the 2nd juvenile hunt and dropped a 7pt with it. The gun is short easy to handle and a tack driver.

backyardtndeer

My wife and daughters have done well with .243. Wife's savage is a model 10, very accurate. Bought my oldest daughter Browning a bolt micro hunter. Nice rifle and is accurate, but not as accurate as the Savage.

Hunter 257W

I've never shot a 7mm-08 but have recommended and ordered several for other people who wanted a kid's deer rifle that would be able to be used as their adult gun later also. Honestly you could buy a 7mm-08 and never buy another deer rifle if you wanted to be practical. Perish the thought though! :) If you load your own ammo you can even download it using H4895 to recoil even less that factory ammo while still killing deer out to 150 to 200 yards easily.

The rifle I let my daughter use for deer when she hunted was a CZ Carbine in 7.62x39. It's something I already had that was gentle on the shoulder so that's why she used it. The 7.62x39 probably recoils a bit less than the 7mm-08 but isn't as good for longer range shots of course. I love that little CZ carbine though because of how easily it carries. It's so light and short that you almost forget you even have a gun when carrying it .

BSK

What Hunter 257W said above is important. Many consider the 7mm-08 a low recoiling gun. That depends on the gun! A full-sized rifle with wood stock and scope, it is a lower recoiling gun. Swap in a light synthetic stock, and suddenly it has much more wallup. I light youth rifle and more wallup. If someone is buying a youth 7mm-08, I would definitely look at downloading the cartridge a bit. OR not shoot the gun much in practice. Practice with a similarly set-up 22. Shooting a lightly built rifle in 7mm-08 could lead to flinching for a smaller person. I shoot the 7mm-08 with a synthetic stock, and it kicks harder than my 308.

Shanman

Got the boy a Savage Axis 7mm-08 compact last year, very lightweight and accurate. I carried it in the late season last year and it was such a joy to hunt with that I picked up a Ruger American 7mm-08 compact for me this year. I'm 6'4" and 265 so it's tight but that's ok. The Savage is definitely lighter, flimsy stock and lighter barrel contour removes a lot of weight. Grabbed every box of Hornady Custom Lite i found last summer and glad I did, very easy on youth shooters. I went with the Ruger American because of it's accuracy, seems to be it's claim to fame for a budget rifle.

mike243

Looking at recoil charts I don't see the no kick numbers, lite for caliber bullets help I'm sure but would rather have a 243 full load in stead, taking some of the speed out will cause more runners imo, after my muzzle loaders I have had more bang flops with my 243. 223 out to 100y has been great so far. may loose 1 this year with any of them but wont be making the kids gun shy with any of my rifles.

Remington700

I'm a big fan of the Remington model 7 compact for youth. You can't find them anymore though. If you do the cost is ridiculous. I like a Ruger but have heard of several small issues with them. I grew up shooting Remingtons so the tang safety feels weird to me. I would look at stepping up to the Hawkeye compact. It is a very nice gun.

ccd234

I'm about to purchase a youth rifle for my son. He is only three, but I have received a relatively large Academy gift card so I figured what better way to put it to good use. I have already decided that I am going with the 7-08 caliber. What are some of your experiences with the Ruger American youth model rifles? I was looking at Savage youth models, but they don't seem to carry them in this caliber.
Remington has a 700 in youth

Madbowh

Not sure on anything about that caliber but I know a .350 legend is a great round for kids. I bought a savage for my daughter from Walmart for 349 with a scope she is 11 and will shoot it all day long. I've seen videos of 5 year old shooting them. I liked it so much went and got myself one. Not trying to throw you off on what you like just some personal experience with this caliber. Seen guys shooting up to 300yds with it, but I'm not putting my kids more than 100 yards from where they ought to get a shot

Uncle Bubba

I looked into this last year and was going to buy my son a Weatherby Vanguard Compact 7mm-08 but ultimately decided to give him my 30-30 that I started hunting with which was given to me by my dad.

Another great option for a youth rifle would be the T/C Compass II Compact in 6.5 Creedmoor!

Weatherby 7mm-08

T/C Compass II Compact in 6.5 Creedmoor

Last edited:

Deer-N-Spurs

The Ruger rifles are pretty good. I bought my daughter (8 yr old) a 350 Legend and then bought the 22LR version for practice. Both guns shoot great, and I put a HU-DU muzzle brake on the 350 Legend to help reduce recoil even more. It doesn't kick much more than the 22LR now.

I would recommend the muzzle brake if your kid will be using ear protection in the field, which I also recommend.

Latest posts