Youth hunt advice/opinion

Nsghunter

I am able to take my 7 year old on the youth hunt this weekend, this is cool for both of us since I work every weekend and it's special to be off. We setup our popup blind and our screen blind last week and we are all ready to get out there and get a deer! We bought a field pod to ensure that he has the best opportunity if we see one.

The question is: what tips do you guys have about taking a child on his first real deer hunt. How long do you stay out and what times do you get there? What do you take and what isn't necessary?

The property is a nice little piece of family land that is about a 2 hour drive then its about a 20 minute easy hike to our target area. I will be bringing an unbrella, blankets/too many warm clothes, loads of snacks and food, entertainment stuff. I figure we will try to get to the blind around 1-2 pm so we can catch the afternoon hunt and he won't have to be subjected to waking up too early and sitting around too long. I am concerned that if we go too early he will get bored too quickly and we will miss out on the good/evening time to hunt.

He and I have been together on about three or four quick hunts this year but this is the first time he will be he one hunting. I expect we will see deer on this property, it rarely ever get's hunted and I specifically left it sit until the youth so he can have a better chance. I don't expect the hunt to be a major "hunting excursion" but more of a fun trip of serious deer hunting.

The

Lost Lake

Sounds like you have a lot of bases covered. Every kid is different as to how long they can remain focused, but I think a couple of hours at a time is usually as much as they can handle.

Binoculars and grunt calls/rattling bags helped to keep my daughter entertained. Oh, and of course electronic devices.

One thing I did was to take her and my wife along with me on some regular season hunts to see how she'd handle it, and to prepare her for longer sits during Juvy hunts. And I made a big deal about how the Juvy hunts were special, and just for her.

X-Tennessean

Good luck to yall!
Let him tell you when he has had enough, make it as enjoyable as possible for him. If he makes it 3 hours with decent weather or only an hour from being cold let him make the call.
Hopefully yall will have some critters to keep him occupied and the time passes by.
Sounds like you have the bases covered tho.

backyardtndeer

Let him tell you when he is ready to quit for the morning or afternoon. Don't push him to stay. Be very patient when or if he is on a deer.

And last I can think of is when you get the shakes before he shoots be sure to don't make him miss.

LY

Ipad (with games), earphones, battery bank and cord to keep the Ipad going, etc. Mine would curl up and sleep a good bit too, she spent a lot of time not "hunting" LOL. Good easy binoculars for him to look around with and watch squirrels and other animals. Also, as hard as it will be, be prepared to leave at prime time if you have to. We left a couple of times, but it kept her happy and willing to go back. She's 22 now and still hunting.

TN Larry

Practice with pictures of deer and show him where to shoot. Then, have him to show you where to shoot on other de6ee pictures. This was important for my two kids.

In terms of how long to stay, let the child tell you. At that age, mine took his tablet or played on my phone when he got bored.

Most important, have fun and good luck!

Laserman1

I put down a old moving blanket cut to size in the floor of my pop up blind. It cuts down on noise and is also a good place for kids to nap on or
lay down to play video game when bored. You can still get them ready when you see a deer( if your not napping with them. )

Safari Hunt

Remember, as the adult you are to be in a position to take immediate possession of the "hunting device" plus conform to the hunter orange requirements. This is specified in the regulations, page 27, note 2.
Taking my 14 yo grandson both days. Weather is going to be good, so far.
Good luck and safe hunting to all!

cbpedigo21

Just don't over think it, make it enjoyable as possible for him and cherish the memories you make with him on the hunt, even if you don't see a deer. In a few years it will be the time spent with him that you will remember, if he gets a deer then that is a bonus!

Latest posts